Homebrew GPS / Cell phone mount

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Rider1260

Homebrew GPS / Cell phone mount

Post by Rider1260 »

As I seem to be adding more tech to my riding, I was looking for an option for mounting my GPS and phone.
My present GPS mounting location was OK but it blocks 1/2 the speedo and required a look down to see and can be difficult at times.
and since I added a Cardo to my helmet and XM radio to my phone being able to see my phone seemed more important.
Its funny to me that now with my BMW I want all the stuff , ( Music , directions . phone ) things I never dreamed I needed or wanted in my 45 years of riding.
I could have gotten the Mansel mount or the Wunderlich but I find myself with time and crappy weather total cost was $60 it would have been even less if I could have found smaller material and decide on paint before the project.
I borrowed Ideas from all the mounts I found and combined them.
The main bracket is 1-1/2" x 1/8" alum angle and the reinforcement bracket is 3/4" x 1/16" angle.
The finish is Flex Seal , I liked the rubber feel and being not shiny , I tried satin and matt paint but it was still to glossy for me.
Shake down as soon as I get a break in the weather. 
Attachments
Sun 7 .JPG
Sun 6.JPG
Sun 5.JPG
Sun 4.JPG
Sun 3.JPG
Sun 2.JPG
Sun 1 .JPG
IMG_7078.JPG
IMG_7056.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
4.JPG
3 copy.JPG
Levisp

Re: Homebrew GPS / Cell phone mount

Post by Levisp »

That looks like a very neat installation. The only thing I would change is the Ram mount holder. They work well but are not as neat as say SP Connect or Quad lock. Advantage then is both those companies have anti vibration mounts and if your phone has wireless changing then they both have chargers. Just a thought. I changed from Ram mount holder like yours to SP Connect with anti vibration adapter. Looks neater and I think quicker to attach phone. Can still use the Ram Ball. However that looks like a great job.
Last edited by Levisp on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backofbeyond
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Backofbeyond »

Thats a great looking mount, I have a 2006 model and finding it hard to get a mount that I like. Just a question, on your first picture is that 1 piece that has been bent into shape or is it welded? Looking to make something but it will be with basic tools though. Well done again thanks Paul

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Backofbeyond
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Backofbeyond »

I just read your post and realised it said angled aluminium lol cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

That would be perfect for me. Fancy making another and selling it to me?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.