Diagnostic program to download

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PeteJLbeemer
Gibraltar

Post by PeteJLbeemer »

Hi,  Does anyone know if there is anything I can download onto my laptop to run a diagnostic check on my 1200rt 2005 model.  I know most would say to buy a dedicated diagnostic machine/computer but I've managed to download something in the past for my Triumph.

Thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Re: Diagnostic program to download

Post by David. »

Plug-in diagnostic equipment is beyond my technical ability, I get a man in. However, when doing a "Google" search, something called Motoscan seems to pop up regularly. I've no idea whether or not there is an alternative to the GS911 diagnostic tool. From what I've read elsewhere, it's seems BMW like to keep things unique in order to make it difficult/expensive for DIY diagnostics. I know someone who also has a Triumph and is able to do his own plug-in diagnostics.
PeteJLbeemer
Gibraltar

Post by PeteJLbeemer »

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply, will have a look at this motoscan you mention,  doesn't surprise me if that's true about BMW making it difficult for anyone to run an alternative diagnostic test other than their own.

Thanks
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

PeteJLbeemer wrote: Hi,  Does anyone know if there is anything I can download onto my laptop to run a diagnostic check on my 1200rt 2005 model.  I know most would say to buy a dedicated diagnostic machine/computer but I've managed to download something in the past for my Triumph.

Thanks

If it is anything to with the ESA, you may be due a number of Chassis Control Module updates. When I had my 2005 model updated in early 2014 there were 6 or 7 updates applied by the dealer, one of which brought the ESA back to life until I sold it.
John Bentall
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I use motorscan with my 2017 RT it works fine but you need to have a compatible device to export the data from the bike. I am not sure what year BM started putting OBDII ports on their bikes it may not work with the BMW proprietary port. 
(Triumph were an early convert to OBDII)
Check the motorscan website and support pages
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

IF you have (or can acquire a cheap) Android device then look into MotoScan. It has several levels of capability, the top level being MotoScan Ultimate for about $50USD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

It also requires a Bluetooth OBD reader (I recommend the OBDLink LX, about $60USD):

OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for Android and Windows
by ScanTool
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW/re ... UTF8&psc=1

and an adapter cable to go from the BT reader to the BMW round diagnostics connector ($18USD)

Qiilu OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for ICOM D Module Cable 10pin OBD Adapter for , Motorcycles Diagnostic Cable Tools Work with ICOM or ICOM A2 A3
by Qiilu
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K7MQFC/re ... UTF8&psc=1

So this setup cost me $130USD as I already had an old Android phone laying around (MotoScan does not have an iOS version for Apple devices)...it does many functions, has good tech support and for most riders will do everything you want to do in the much more expensive GS-911 platform.

I have BOTH the GS-911 and a MotoScan setup and use MotoScan 90% of the time when working on Hexhead bikes.

Check it out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RT Mike
United States of America

Post by RT Mike »

Will the MX work with BMW motorcycles?
No matter how thinly something is sliced, there is always two sides.