Drawbacks of using Google Maps for navigation

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Drawbacks of using Google Maps for navigation

Post by jackronner »

Caveat:  I've never owned even a flip phone;  just above computer illiterate, here.
On a few trips, I've used an old IPad with GPS that I strap on the handlebars, and it seems to work fine.  I like the larger screen as compared to the Garmin that came with the bike.  It seems that the route has to be loaded with wi-fi, and cannot be changed on the fly without it, so that's one drawback.  Of course, rain might be a problem, but I'll carry a zip-loc bag for that.  Am I right in supposing it will work in Europe, and that I won't have to load updates to Google as seems to be the case with other dedicated Nav systems?  Thanks.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Drawbacks of using Google Maps for navigation

Post by Steve398 »

I have a Ram mount phone holder fitted to the handlebar yoke for my iphone 7 plus, one of their larger models, for use as a back-up satnav. Although I've only used it occasionally and it works well I find the necessity to move my eyes down to check out the display very awkward and quite dangerous as opposed to the fitted satnav which is pretty much in my eyeline.
To answer your question - I can't see any reason it wouldn't work in Europe, and the ziplock idea may be OK as long as there are no temperature changes that may cause condensation. Do you also have it set up for spoken directions?
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Yeah, Steve, I use ear buds so I can listen to music, too and still keep my eyes on the road.  Someone said Google's better for updated traffic problems, too.  BTW, am I doing something wrong so that I can't modify the route w/o wi-fi?  Maybe by dragging the marked route to another road, etc?  I'm assuming it works the same way on your phone as it does on my IPad.

Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

TBH I haven't used it a huge amount as it's only really there as a back-up and to be aware who's calling me, and receive emails/txts, so I probably can't fully answer your question but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will join in.

Has your ipad any facility to access mobile internet data or do you have to wait until you are at a hotel with internet access (like my own ipad). I suspect that you can't amend your route without internet...

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

jackronner wrote: Yeah, Steve, I use ear buds so I can listen to music, too and still keep my eyes on the road.  Someone said Google's better for updated traffic problems, too.  BTW, am I doing something wrong so that I can't modify the route w/o wi-fi?  Maybe by dragging the marked route to another road, etc?  I'm assuming it works the same way on your phone as it does on my IPad.

I have not found a way of editing a Google map route on my iPhone. The desktop version of Google maps you can drag the route. Also I have not found anyway of planning a Google route on my computer and then transferring to iPhone. For theses reasons I don't use Google maps. Instead I prefer a paid navigation app for motorcycle navigation. Have a look at Scenic 2. A great app with the ability to very easily plan routes, organise them into folders and import / export GPX files. You can also import Google map routes via copy / paste map hyperlink using Scenic web app. Another popular app is Calimoto but I think Scenic has more features and is cheaper if you buy lifetime subscription. Route planning on Scenic 2 is so easy. Its only available on IOS. I would think it would work well on an iPad. Checkout the Scenic forum I think there is a chat on there about using large screen iPads for navigation.

Another good app is TomTom Go app. The IOS version is due a critical update very soon which will allow routes to be synced to app from MyDrive. Something which will make the app a genuine replacement for dedicated devices. MyDrive is TomTom planning software. There is a web version and app version.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I don't know how Google maps works on an iPad but I'm guessing its the same as a iPhone. My comments above were using a iPhone. Sorry for confusion. However I still think you would get an easier and better route planning experience using Scenic on your iPad. Wifi is only required to download maps. Then all that's needed is GPS on your iPad. No data is required. There is no traffic information on Scenic. If traffic is important then TomTom Go app has it but not sure how that works on a iPad.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Steve and Levisp.  I do have GPS on the IPad.  It's pretty rare that I have to change the route on the fly, anyway.  Plus, in Europe it's not like the U.S. when the next available wi-fi is over a hundred miles away. I'll look into the apps you've suggested and see if I'm up to the challenge, what with my meagre tech skills.  To be honest, some of the most memorable roads have been the result of getting a bit lost.  But I do remember needing two hours to get out of Tours, France due to road construction, etc.  Not something I want to repeat.