Phone Mounting Options - Please Help

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rnelson955

Phone Mounting Options - Please Help

Post by rnelson955 »

Hi all,

After some frustration with the BMW app and navigation I'm now trying to find a way to mount my Quad Lock wireless charging head....but the 1250RT seems to have a decided lack of available mounting points.

Could people that have mounted a phone please share with me how they've gone about it?  Pictures would be super helpful.

Cheers,
Rick
PeteM

Re: Phone Mounting Options - Please Help

Post by PeteM »

Not a phone but I had a similar problem to mount a Go Pro remote control, ended up using a in a bike handle bar mount which is on a SP Connect stub which works well for me. It is a bit expensive for what it is but it solved a problem. You would not necessarily have to use the SP Connect phone kit on the Wunderlich stub, any bicycle mounting would do the job but their kit does look quite good so worth considering.

SP Connect stub here: https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200s/wun ... handlebars

SP Connect here: https://sp-connect.co.uk/
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

PeteM setup with SP Connect anti vibration mount to protect iPhone. The mount has been set for max height but still behind the screen for some protection from the elements. Can still read rev counter. Unfortunately there is no way to swivel the mount to position the phone more head on but its perfectly workable.

Attachments
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1907.jpg
Last edited by Levisp on Tue May 04, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I have a Ram ball mount on the yoke together with a ball mount case, all bought from Nippy Normans. I also have a Ram Spider phone mount for sale as well.
Attachments
59EC7652-FD48-4FD8-8EA3-F0F3F07C3B55.jpeg
FA95991E-26FC-40EE-A061-AB7698C6343C.jpeg
F10ACF36-2911-4C7F-8ABB-DA6452949A3A.jpeg
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue May 04, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Steve398 wrote: I have a Ram ball mount on the yoke together with a ball mount case, all bought from Nippy Normans. I also have a Ram Spider phone mount for sale as well.

Thanks Steve, what's involved in removing the yoke cap / BMW logo in order to fit that mount?

Cheers,
Rick
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Levisp wrote: PeteM setup with SP Connect anti vibration mount to protect iPhone. The mount has been set for max height but still behind the screen for some protection from the elements. Can still read rev counter. Unfortunately there is no way to swivel the mount to position the phone more head on but its perfectly workable.

This looks like a nice solution too, however they don't ship to Australia. Where are you guys running your power to for the phone...straight to the battery?

Cheers,
Rick
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I use one of these and then thread the cable neatly behind the fairing.

https://www.nippynormans.com/phone-mounts-and-cases/plug-in-usb-90-degree-socket-converter

If I'm using the fairing socket for my heated jacket then I have powered the phone using a battery power pack stored in a tank bag.

From memory the BMW steering stem logo just prizes off. The steering ram ball is very easy to fit. Neat solution but I found it sat too low for me.

Last edited by Levisp on Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I use something like this
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0143/2112/3385/products/hella_usb_grande.jpg?v=1544100296

But my phone is in a tank bag as I use a Nav VI but I don't suppose it would be that had to use on a handle bar mount

Both this and Levisp solution mean you don't have to muck about running wires to the battery or run the risk of fattening it if you accidentally leave something plugged in
Last edited by PeteM on Wed May 05, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Hi Rick my advice is to preserve with the App, it works but you gotta follow the yellow brick road and understand/accept its limitations.  If you do decide to do this, its not a bad idea to buy a second hand phone and think of it as your GPS/Music system, you can lock this in the pocket (apart from a hot day) and keep your main phone with you.

What are your specific problems with getting the App to work?
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Steve398 wrote: I have a Ram ball mount on the yoke together with a ball mount case, all bought from Nippy Normans. I also have a Ram Spider phone mount for sale as well.
Ok, the BMW logo does just pry off (thanks Levisp !! ). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be room to fit a fork stem mount due to the large nut underneath the logo.....did you not encounter this issue trying to fit the RAM mount?
Attachments
BMW Fork Stem.jpg
BMW Fork Stem.jpg
Last edited by rnelson955 on Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

DavidMcK wrote: Hi Rick my advice is to preserve with the App, it works but you gotta follow the yellow brick road and understand/accept its limitations.  If you do decide to do this, its not a bad idea to buy a second hand phone and think of it as your GPS/Music system, you can lock this in the pocket (apart from a hot day) and keep your main phone with you.

What are your specific problems with getting the App to work?

Hey David,

Other than me finding the navigation pretty poor in terms of usability (can't just enter a venue like XYZ Hotel like you can with Google Maps etc) the app just repeatedly refuses to connect to the bike. I've followed all the instructions, phone is paired correctly, and it works sometimes but not often.

That and my phone doesn't fit in there unless the case is removed. (Samsung S9+) Not a major issue as I'm due a new phone anyway, so could just get a slightly smaller one. But I quite like being able to pull over and tap away on the phone if needed, rather than having to get it out of the pocket, lock it back in etc.

Cheers,
Rick
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Other than me finding the navigation pretty poor in terms of usability (can't just enter a venue like XYZ Hotel like you can with Google Maps etc)

Agreed, its pretty poor to plan a route.  I use MyRouteApp and the Gold version has an App for your phone, its much easier to plan a route and find POI's in something like that.  After the route is planned, you save it to your phone and the BMW App will pick it up and import it.

the app just repeatedly refuses to connect to the bike. I've followed all the instructions, phone is paired correctly, and it works sometimes but not often.

I had problems too with a Galaxy S10 and BMW suggested things to fix.  This thread has more info:

/viewtopic.php?t=6.45

That and my phone doesn't fit in there unless the case is removed. (Samsung S9+) Not a major issue as I'm due a new phone anyway, so could just get a slightly smaller one.

Why not take the case off your S9+ and donate it to the bike, it becomes your "Bike Phone".  You don't need a Sim unless you want to make calls.

But I quite like being able to pull over and tap away on the phone if needed, rather than having to get it out of the pocket, lock it back in etc.

You should check out the POI options under Navigation.  If for example you are on a route and you want to find fuel or a hotel the POI's on the bike will work for you and navigate you to your destination, that part is good.
Last edited by DavidMcK on Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

rnelson955 wrote: Ok, the BMW logo does just pry off (thanks Levisp !! ). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be room to fit a fork stem mount due to the large nut underneath the logo.....did you not encounter this issue trying to fit the RAM mount?

I didn't have a problem with the bolt itself beneath the BMW badge, but had to file a bit off the RAM mount fixing. I can't even come close to describe just how it fixes in there, suffice to say it does, and I have no plans to remove it anytime soon.  To my mind it's wildly overpriced for what it is, but nothing with RAM on it is cheap!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

rnelson955 wrote: Ok, the BMW logo does just pry off (thanks Levisp !! ). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be room to fit a fork stem mount due to the large nut underneath the logo.....did you not encounter this issue trying to fit the RAM mount?

Is this the type you are trying to fit.

Attachments
90045.jpg
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Levisp wrote:
Is this the type you are trying to fit.

No, I was trying to fit a Quad Lock fork stem mount, but it looks like the one you've posted a pic of could be the answer, so thanks!! I'll just have to add a RAM to Quad Lock converter.

Cheers,
Rick
Attachments
Quad Lock.PNG