Seriously considering an R1250 RT.... couple of questions for those in the know

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
lazlo

Seriously considering an R1250 RT.... couple of questions for those in the know

Post by lazlo »

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at the R1250 RT

Been riding for 20 years, probably every kind of twin from whacking old brits round town to racing ducatis on track with a fair bit of fixing old beemers and guzzis by the side of the road inbetween.
I do frequent trips between the pyrenees, paris and london and am no stranger to long long days in the saddle (often on police bikes from the 1960s but that's a diffferent story!)
I spent a bit of time riding an R1200 RT about 10 years ago, so I know a bit about the bikes.
I'm looking for info about the differences between the 2020 and 2021 models... (I have tried to do my research I promise!)

-first up, I don't have a smart phone, nor do I want to own one. Am I correct in understanding that the 2021 TFT equipped model can only deliver navigation and music via a smart phone? And that a 2020 model has an integrated GPS system in the dash that doesnt require connection to a phone?
-Are there differences in wind protection/fairing between the two models? Any reports on which one might be better for a pillion? I know this can be highly subjective but any info would be appreciated.
-Are the 4 shortcut buttons on the left hand side of the 'cockpit' programmable on either or both models?
-are there genuinely problems with the brake calipers on either or both models, is the best fix to convert to brembos?

any other major differences?

I guess that's it...

Cheers!

rnelson955

Re: Seriously considering an R1250 RT.... couple of questions for those in the know

Post by rnelson955 »

-first up, I don't have a smart phone, nor do I want to own one. Am I correct in understanding that the 2021 TFT equipped model can only deliver navigation and music via a smart phone? And that a 2020 model has an integrated GPS system in the dash that doesnt require connection to a phone?

Yes, correct, smartphone and BMW app needed to use those functions on the TFT. I'm not familiar with the 2020 and prior models, but my understanding is that the GPS was an option and it is integrated.
-Are there differences in wind protection/fairing between the two models? Any reports on which one might be better for a pillion? I know this can be highly subjective but any info would be appreciated.

I don't believe so......both bikes look very similar in that regard. Seats and pillion comfort looks like it would be identical.

-Are the 4 shortcut buttons on the left hand side of the 'cockpit' programmable on either or both models?

My 2021 manual says they are permanently assigned.

1: Mute audio
2: Grip heating menu
3: Toggle between radio and media
4: Navigation

-are there genuinely problems with the brake calipers on either or both models, is the best fix to convert to brembos?

I have absolutely zero complaints with the brakes on this bike, and have ridden plenty of different bikes.

Hope this helps...cheers.
Rick
keith1200r

Re: Seriously considering an R1250 RT.... couple of questions for those in the know

Post by keith1200r »

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... anguage=en

The link lists the differences. The fairing and screen are different on the 2021.

On the 2020 you would need to use a BMW Navigator in the satnav holder.

1000+ miles on my 2021 and no complaints about the brakes.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

lazlo wrote: -first up, I don't have a smart phone, nor do I want to own one. Am I correct in understanding that the 2021 TFT equipped model can only deliver navigation and music via a smart phone? And that a 2020 model has an integrated GPS system in the dash that doesn't require connection to a phone?

Hi lazlo.

In 2019-2020 GPS is an accessory to buy separately. There is mount point on dash and BMW Navigator is good integrated with wheel.
You don't need smartphone for using it. You can upload your mp3 collection to GPS unit, there is also SD card slot to expand storage.

But if you don't have smartphone even in dedicated GPS unit you loosing traffic data, as this functionality require internet connection. And that is done via phone.

As for the brakes. No issues at all in my bike. They are very good to be honest.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I had a 2019 RT and now have a 2021

As said above you will need a smartphone to use the Nav function of the TFT;  previously you would need a BMW/Garmin Nav 6 or 5 (not sure about 4?) which fitted in a dedicated housing above the dash.  In its current state of development I would say the Garmin solution was much more flexible and usable than the TFT system, but on the other hand it was an expensive addition.  As far as I understand it the "wonder wheel" on the RT did not provide as many functions on the SatNav as it did, for example, on the GS.

I believe the screen on the new models is a different shape to the older one (in line with the re-designed front end).  The standard screen on the "Sport Style" blue model is smaller than the screen on the "Elegance" model, although it can apparently be ordered with the larger screen if desired.  I can't speak for a pillion but the smaller screen does not give as much wind protection when fully raised as the 2019 model did.

The dash on the 2019 model provided more information "at a glance" - e.g. fuel level + range + engine temp at the same time.  Despite its size, the TFT does not do this.

Nice to have all LED lights at last, no more faffing with carrying spare bulbs and trying to fit them.

I have had no problems with the Haynes front calipers.  Still Brembo at the rear.

(Oh, and BTW the word is "lose", not "loose" - impressionable children might be reading this  :)) )
Last edited by Hors Piste on Fri May 07, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazlo

Post by lazlo »

Thanks a lot for the info guys -
hors piste - I'm searching my post in a panic looking for any misspellings...
No evidence of the words 'lose' or 'loose' in my post or any of the replies..... Unless I'm missing something?
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

I just bought a new leftover 2020 here in the states.  Could be differences in other markets.

I purposely bought the 2020 rather than the 2021 because I wanted a traditional cockpit with tach and speedo.  I have been using Garmin for years and am familiar with them.  The Nav 6 pops out and can be brought into hotel room or restaurant to determine routes.  I was also leery of 1st year tech with the interface.

My bike came with the new Brembos as it was part of the stop sale here in states.  They work great!  Best brakes I have experienced on a bike!

The motor is phenomenal and is no different from 20-21 model years. 

Good luck!

Rick G
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Lazlo - not really wishing to point any fingers but Arek refers to "loosing" in his reply above  :-*

I see this misuse of "loose" and "loosing" all over t'internet and it drives me bonkers.  The words have completely different meanings.

Sorry
lazlo

Post by lazlo »

no offense taken!
Thanks for your input

hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

On the old model Garmin sat Navigator required to install in the housing on the bike , if you are going to do a lot of touring make sure the screen is to your requirements i found the stock screens no good , never had any problems with the brake calipers on my 2019 1250RT.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Interestingly, if the translation of the sub-titles in this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKp-qvcGrY  is correct, the Italians get a 4 year warranty and 5 years of roadside assistance.

Or maybe "interestingly" is not the right word..... >:(