Trouble in Paradise

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Rick G

Trouble in Paradise

Post by Rick G »

Trouble in Paradise here!!

Looks like I am heading for a dealer visit for my just purchased 2020 1250RT!

Today I was taking a ride to Pittsburgh to visit some friends to show off bike and to try out new Sargent Saddle. I was on a deserted 2 lane road and ran it up through the gears, accelerating hard. I was in 5th gear doing about 120 (stupid I know but it gets there so damn fast!) right around 7 Grand or a little higher, and all of a sudden it feels like I hit the rev limiter...with about 2 grand to go. It then lost all power and I drifted to a stop with minimal throttle. An engine warning light is on. I assume that is limp home mode as I could go but slowly. On side of road. I turned bike off waited 15 seconds or so like rebooting a computer and tried to fire her up. She fired right up, engine warning light gone and I go on my merry way.

I start experimenting to find the condition where this happens and it is right around 7 grand. I could sit in neutral, rev the engine to 7 grand and duplicate the issue. Turn off, wait, turn on, she goes fine until 7 grand.

So now I am taking it easy as it is a Sunday and don't want to get stranded 100 miles from home. I made it to Pittsburgh, and on way home I thought I would just take the turnpike to keep revs down and not tax engine. Well, on the Turnpike, 6th gear, cruise set at 77, 4200 RPM and she does it again, on the freaking Turnpike!!! Coasted to side and did the routine and she starts up until it happens again...and again... and again. Now I start thinking, 4200 RPM, isn't that where the Shiftcam shifts cam profiles? Once off turnpike I was on another interstate, but this time I set cruise at 67 which kept the revs around 3800 rpm and I made the final 35 miles without incident.

So what does the collective think? Shift Cam mechanism? Flapper valve mishap? Emission Sensor? ??

I will be calling dealer tomorrow.

Rick

PS Now this is a great reason to own multiple bikes! Won't lose ride time.
Rick G

Re: Trouble in Paradise

Post by Rick G »

Bike is at dealer.  They are booked in service for 2-3 weeks.  Bummer!  Good thing I have other bikes!

Rick G
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hi hope you get it sorted out , the problem with modern bikes is the electronics there could be several reasons why the bike is playing up , so unless you have the savvie to check it yourself its back to the dealers (which should be cost free if its still under warranty ) all the best keep us informed .
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Good news on my RT. Dealer called today and told me ready to pick up, it was a loose connection to throttle sending bike into limp home mode. Even less serious than a sensor that I was hoping for. I am out of town and will pick up Friday or Saturday.
Rick G