Horn suddenly stopped working

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
zaphod303

Horn suddenly stopped working

Post by zaphod303 »

Hi - New forum member and poster here.  I recently purchased a 2016 RT with 20K miles from a dealer.  Bike was dealer serviced since new.  A couple of days after I got the bike, the horn stopped working (it worked when I took it off the lot). 

Coincidentally, I had noticed that the front seat heater cable was disconnected when I got the bike home, and reconnected it.  Shortly after this is when I noticed the horn was dead.  I inferred from this that plugging in the seat might have caused a fuse to blow.  I checked the two fuses under the seat but they are both good. 

I confirmed that this forum has one "horn" thread but it does not match my scenario. 

Thanks in advance for any advice as to:1. Likelihood that the horn failure was a result of reconnecting the seat heater.2. Next steps to troubleshoot. 

Best,Zaphod
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Re: Horn suddenly stopped working

Post by burridge01 »

Why aren't you taking it back to the shop to be fixed.
zaphod303

Re: Horn suddenly stopped working

Post by zaphod303 »

Good question.  A couple of reasons:1. It worked when I took it off the lot and there is no warranty2. So far the dealer has given me little encouragement that they would do anything other than charge me standard shop rates which I'm disinclined to pay if it is as simple as replacing the right fuse.