Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 454 times
Been liked: 399 times
Great Britain

FJR1300 V's R1200RT

Post by sakm »

Hi all

First post here and I would just like to pick the knowledge of the forum.

I currently have an FJR1300 2001 model which has served me well for the last 6 years it was basically a cheap bike to give touring a go with the wife and its now come to the time that I want to invest in a better bike.

I am looking to upgrade to a 2014+ R1200RT and I am just wondering if anyone has made this sort of move and if so how do the two bikes compare?

My main concern is pillion protection in terms of wind buffeting between the two as no matter what screen I seem to use on the FJR I just can't seem to get a happy medium!

We always seem to get like a drumming sound on our helmets which can spoil the ride

I know the obvious answer is test rides but its not always possible as some dealers point blank refuse them now and others allow you an hour which is not enough time in my opinion to get the feel of the bike etc

Many thanks
Stu
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: FJR1300 V's R1200RT

Post by beemerboy9 »

I think, Stu, that you have answered your own question.

That is to say that there are numerous aftermarket screens for the R1200RT (LC) - not least the Werks "Quiet Ride" from across the pond.

The drumming will depend on the rider torso height and the angle of the windscreen.

I can only hope that out there, somewhere, will be the screen for you.

Never had an FJR - could not find one to test ride. BMW dealers are usually better in that respect.

If you find a dealer that will refuse a test ride - let me know. I am sure that I can find someone to speak to them.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

All I can say is my wife says when I raise the screen its pretty quite for her, I looked at a FJR when I was moving on from my SV1000 into something more comfortable but still fun, wife thought the seating position was still to sporty on the FJR for her.
Tho mine is older ( 2008 ) I love my RT after 1 1/2 years and 10,000 miles I really like it just did 1200 miles thru wisconsin just a joy.
For me the biggest difference is the Teleleaver front end feel because it really does not dive still a different feel to a bike with a fork.
As speed even loaded its killer sweepers rock like on rails slower more technical stuff is still a work in progress for me.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hi Stu

I make the move from FJR to RT back in 2014. Took my missus with me when testing the bike to see if she like it. Got a big thumbs up ! Pillion comfort much better and no vibration through the pegs. I found the RT a more relaxed riding position. Think the RT handles much better too. If you have no experience of riding a flat twin then you really do need to get a long test ride. Initially you will probably hate it but once you have found how to ride the motor think you will love it. Very different to the FJR.

I have had no issues with mine. Neutral to first gear is agricultural. Keep it clean otherwise it will rust. The finish is not as robust. Great bike don't miss the FJR.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Just confirming you and the Mrs are wearing earplugs. If not, you may find they reduce wind noise down to a reasonable level, regardless of which bike you choose.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
BobM

Post by BobM »

Hi, I had an 08 FJR, put a z technik screen on and it was great. But it didn`t have cruise control (they do now) and I think that is a must now for long touring. Had a 2014 Rt and now have a 1250. Both are great bikes, better speced than the FJ, I think more agile, and the stock seat more comfy. Wouldn`t go back to the FJ despite it being a lovely bike. Cheers.   
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Levisp wrote: If you have no experience of riding a flat twin then you really do need to get a long test ride. Initially you will probably hate it but once you have found how to ride the motor think you will love it.

Seconded, when I first rode an RT I absolutely detested it for the first hour but the shop had warned me it would take a while so I persevered, by the end of the day and a couple of hundred miles I was ready to buy one.
Ed17
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ed17 »

Well, I have ridden both bikes professionally for a couple of years.Sometimes, when available in the station, I could even choose which one to take for the day.My personal opinion is as follows:If you are looking for a somewhat sporty bike: get on the FJR.On the other hand, if you seek a more comfortable ride (with or without pillion): go for the RT.In my book, having hours and hours of riding in mind, I always go for the comfort.There is a reason that *a lot* of police forces go for an RT... ;-)
Stay safe..Ed.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have also ridden both, semi professionally (Blood Bike) and own a 1250RT. I like the FJR, think the luggage isn't upto much. But I would own one if I couldn't afford to have an RT. But out of the two I prefer the comfort of the RT, but the engine on the FJR is a peach.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Thanks All for the replies

I have ridden the 1250 with the missus on the back already but the time we had on it just wasn't enough in my opinion! I couldn't get the feel of it! I stalled it twice  :))  I have never owned a flat twin but had a V twin for 9 years before the FJR its all about just learning the bike and where the power is

I must admit the FJR is effortless when it comes to power! it just flies and thats part of my worry too but I am looking at getting a newer touring bike then sell the FJR to fund a toy for myself so should have all basis covered to scratch that itch if need be.

I am off to look at one on Thursday so will see how that goes!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Now if you want a bike with power, try a K1600. Just got back from a 450 mile trip. My 1250 is in the garage, this is a loaner. Quite liked it
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote: Now if you want a bike with power, try a K1600. Just got back from a 450 mile trip. My 1250 is in the garage, this is a loaner. Quite liked it

Yes I have thought about that but I think it may well be too big for my needs! but who knows
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Sakm,  As for stalling:  It takes a bit of getting used to but, as you slow down in traffic or approaching a stop sign, and you get to the point where my old bike would start bucking due to low revs,  the computer inhibits the stall, but if you don't downshift or engage the clutch lever, it'll stall suddenly.  I find the RT easy to drive in stop and go traffic; nice power band at all speeds.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Comparing a 4 cylinder FJR or 6 cylinder K1600GT with the boxer twin, the smoothness of the multi cylinder bikes will always feel they have more performance and the ability to cruise effortlessly at high speeds, and of cause they do. The RT keeps the speeds to non ban speeds (UK) for me. I test rode the K1600GT when it first came out and wow what a bike. The engine characteristics just made for crazy 3 figure speeds. If I had one I'm sure I would have got banned. For me the RT gives me enough real world power and keeps me on the right side of the law. This is from someone who 20 years ago loved his R1 and later ZZR1400. So if crazy speed is not your thing, the RT works well. It is the lightest of the tourers, handles well, comfy and has good weather protection. The engine just needs time to love. Until recently I also owned a Pan 1300. The v4 engine was so nice and there are times I wish the RT could be smoother. However it was heavy and was harder work at speed. Build quality of the Pan was bullet proof something that BMW could improve on their bikes. BMWs rust !! They need looking after especially if ridden in winter.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

jackronner wrote: Sakm,  As for stalling:  It takes a bit of getting used to but, as you slow down in traffic or approaching a stop sign, and you get to the point where my old bike would start bucking due to low revs,  the computer inhibits the stall, but if you don't downshift or engage the clutch lever, it'll stall suddenly.  I find the RT easy to drive in stop and go traffic; nice power band at all speeds.

It was setting off where I had the issue just not enough revs

The twin needs a few more compared to an IL4