Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

Post by Casbar »

burridge01 wrote: Surely if this flap goes and you have no warranty on the bike then just cut it out.I have taken the headers off my RT and replaced with a full Arrow system.Anyone need Ia working set of down pipes then pm me.

But as I said, it is now illegal to mess with anything to do with the cat and emissions. It won't be long before Mr MOT will start to check bikes, apparently they are already gearing up for it. So no flap and no cat will mean no MOT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Casbar,  Thanks, but do you mean that either the hex heads don't suffer from this problem, or that it is easier to fix on them?  More accessible?  I'm planning on buying an RT in France, so it sounds better to buy a hex head if they aren't similarly plagued. If it does fail, since I have no emissions testing to worry about (and no warning code should the flap get stuck?), could I simply find a way to force it open (if closed) and then find a means to physically prevent it from closing?  Or would that ruin the servo/cable system.  I don't care if it does since it's not checked in Cali, but would it present any type of problem on my '09? Do other brands have a similar flap with the same problems?

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Here is a video of using a GS911 and discovering a stuck exhaust valve and what he did about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThe-VzzVKc
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

"since I have no emissions testing to worry about"  - are you sure about that?  Control Technique will be coming to motos eventually, even if it's been delayed
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

jackronner wrote: Casbar,  Thanks, but do you mean that either the hex heads don't suffer from this problem, or that it is easier to fix on them?  More accessible?  I'm planning on buying an RT in France, so it sounds better to buy a hex head if they aren't similarly plagued. If it does fail, since I have no emissions testing to worry about (and no warning code should the flap get stuck?),could I simply find a way to force it open (if closed) and then find a means to physically prevent it from closing?  Or would that ruin the servo/cable system.  I don't care if it does since it's not checked in Cali, but would it present any type of problem on my '09? Do other brands have a similar flap with the same problems?

Not an HEX head expert, think they still have a flap but in a separate pipe that can be removed. Someone else will be along to advise on that. The flap that is causing the issues is on 2014 bikes onwards LC because they decided to build into the headers, so you can't just replace it, you need to replace the headers as well
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 335 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Can I look forward to this on my 2009 RT.
No, Hexheads don't have exhaust flap valves.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well after all this talk about the pesky exhaust valve I decided to go and check mine and blow me the bugger was seized !!. Took the silencer off to double check and no movement. Seized in open position as Casbar said. Took off the cables and tried to move the valve and it was well and truly stuck. So push a small amount of rag down the exhaust passed the valve to collect the excess WD40 and sprayed the top and bottom spindles. Left for half an hour and then started to free the valve. Gradually I got it free. Took patience and time for the WD40 to work its magic. At first is was quite stiff but eventually got it nice and free so that pushed fully closed and then let go it would snap open. The spring holds it in this open position. Fixed. This is the first time it has happened to me in the 6+ years of ownership. Will now have to be more vigilant. Still don't see how one can lubricate this. The valve pivots on two bushes, smearing theses with high temperature grease is not going to penetrate to the moving parts. Anything on the outside of the bearing is just going to get burnt off. Interestingly soaking the spindle top and bottom with WD40 did free the valve so maybe that's the answer.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've got one of our 2015 RTp in my garage, have to free the flap and grease roughly every 6-8 weeks. Once it is seizing it is on its way out. Not bothered as we have a GS911 so just clear the fault. The thing with it is, you can't tell if its moving or not, unless you eyeball it. The servo still sounds even though its not moving the flap, so you hear the sound like the flap is working. But the kicker on the 1250s is the flap fault also throws an engine warning light.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks Casbar for further information. So you cannot rely on the sound when first switched on. Will have to pop off the cover and check the movement to inspect operation every month and see how it goes. At least I was able to free it so should be easier enough to include this in my monthly check.

Here is another video of the valve in operation. As you can see its open most of the time, closing only at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-pPKzu_NI
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar forgot to ask what grease do you use and do you think it makes a difference. If so how do you get the grease into the bearing surfaces ?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: Casbar forgot to ask what grease do you use and do you think it makes a difference. If so how do you get the grease into the bearing surfaces ?

I use `permatex Nickel Anti Seize high temp, supposed to be resistant to heat to 2400F or 1315C. I just take the can off and smear it on with a cotton bud. Now as to if it makes a difference I don't know, quite a few swear by it, but as my bike is still under warranty I'm not that bothered, but I do whip the can off every so often and give it a go. The 2014 Rtp I freed up Sept last year, I have used it on that and it hasn't seized again as yet, but I do have another problem with the servo cables that are stopping it closing fully, it is free without the cables attached, so that needs looking at.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Cheers might try some.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Casbar wrote:
But as I said, it is now illegal to mess with anything to do with the cat and emissions. It won't be long before Mr MOT will start to check bikes, apparently they are already gearing up for it. So no flap and no cat will mean no MOT
Glad I don't move in such dramatic circles as your good self.Are you telling me they will pull the exhaust apart to see if ya flap is flapping.No,that's not going to happen is it.If its stuck then cut the thing out,it really is that simple.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

burridge01 wrote: Glad I don't move in such dramatic circles as your good self.Are you telling me they will pull the exhaust apart to see if ya flap is flapping.No,that's not going to happen is it.If its stuck then cut the thing out,it really is that simple.

If you knew me you would know I am not dramatic at all. As far as I'm concerned I don't give a stuff what anyone does. But if the MOT starts to measure emissions for bikes as they are already gearing up for, cutting the flap out is not going to get you a pass. But do what you like and if you don't like the advice ignore it, the whole idea of people asking questions is for them to get options and advice, whether they are more knowledgable or want to adhere to it, luckily is personal choice.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 335 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The exhaust flap is purely mechanical and has no impact on the products of combustion (emissions) formed by burning fuel in an internal combustion engine, end of story.