Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

Post by Casbar »

burridge01 wrote:
Noise is already a part of the mot,can you post a link to the new emission rules,much obliged.

In fact I have just re read the whole thread and the only person going on about emission testing is you.You've mentioned in on numerous occasions  but haven't backed it up.Now's the chance to educate us British riders with the government's new rules for next year.Thanks.

Can’t be bothered. You can google the same as me. I don’t need to back anything up, it’s not an investigation. I am just relaying what I read on other forums and what a very good friend told me. He owns a motorcycle garage and does MOTs. He told me the software has been updated ready for motorcycle emissions testing probably to start next year in line with the governments green agenda. Whether that will happen who knows. The stance on it now being illegal to tamper with anything emissions or noise related is also easily found if you put some effort in. Just to put the record straight, I personally don’t give a flying what anyone does around the flap issue. I had two new sets of headers on my 2014 and the flap on my 2019 is ok and still under warranty. I have a stuck flap on a 2015 RTp in the garage which I’ve freed a few times. If and when the MOT rules change I’ll worry about it then. It’s not clear if the emissions testing and tampering will be backdated or just euro 5 forward, will have to see. Same flap though
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

So just to be clear on this matter of emission testing for bikes next year.You were/are bullshitting.I don't need to go to Google for the answer,instead I went straight to the horses mouth and asked my mot tester. He is not aware of any upcoming change to any mot software or equipment.

If you're going to be sarcastic with replies, at least have the decency to be correct and have the information to back it up.Not like some old gossip women hanging over the fence.
""I read it on another forum" 😂😂😂😂
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

So, reading the MOT requirement for noise it says that it’s checked for “unreasonable” noise at half throttle (without any db limit specified). As the exhaust valve opens at anything above idle then it’ll make no difference if it’s been removed. Obviously the valve is only for noise (at very low revs for town riding) and not emissions, which is mainly controlled by the catalytic converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is it possible that the debate over "emissions" is confused with the ULEZ requirements. TfL currently have one government appointed test centre where motorcycle exhaust emissions are tested with exhaust gas analysis equipment, (like on a petrol car MOT). There is no mention of noise testing with a db meter.

When thinking of riding my bike through London, I checked to see if it was congestion charge exempt, it is. This is based on emissions (not noise),  if the flap was stuck, how would the website know.

I've done loads of Google searching and cannot find anything relating to motorcycle exhaust emission testing becoming part of the MOT test. When searching, if something is posted on another forum, it usually points you towards a related quote from within that thread on the forum.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: Is it possible that the debate over "emissions" is confused with the ULEZ requirements. TfL currently have one government appointed test centre where motorcycle exhaust emissions are tested with exhaust gas analysis equipment, (like on a petrol car MOT). There is no mention of noise testing with a db meter.

When thinking of riding my bike through London, I checked to see if it was congestion charge exempt, it is. This is based on emissions (not noise),if the flap was stuck, how would the website know.

I've done loads of Google searching and cannot find anything relating to motorcycle exhaust emission testing becoming part of the MOT test. When searching, if something is posted on another forum, it usually points you towards a related quote from within that thread on the forum.
True, this thread started with the exhaust valve issue but has got muddled with emissions which have nothing to do with the valve. The ULEZ issue is about emissions and seems to be solely based on manufacturer declared levels, unless you can prove otherwise by taking your bike to ULEZ approved test centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

David,I ride into London almost every work day and the Ulez is only enforceable with the cameras, nothing else.If your bike is not compliant and the cameras pick you up then expect a penalty charge.

The garage in east London that does the testing is there for Joe public to take there bike to and get them to pass it.This may involve just tweaking the carbs(ALMOST all injection bike will not need the test)or having a cat fitted.I know this because I called them in regards to my 05 1200 Bandit and was quoted £350 to get it compliant (bought a GSX1250 in the end)
So you will have no issue with the exhaust unless officer Dibble pulls you for the noise,then that is purely down to discretion.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the TfL congestion charge checker, https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

I know of two members on this site who both have 2011 RT's. One has the exhaust flap removed, the other doesn't, I bet both pass the check!

With respect to the "Euro" number, the bike is manufactured and declared from new as complying with the standard applicable at the time. From what I can see, no further emission testing is required.

ULEZ Compliance, viewtopic.php?t=0.msg45843#msg45843
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

burridge01 wrote: So just to be clear on this matter of emission testing for bikes next year.You were/are bullshitting.I don't need to go to Google for the answer,instead I went straight to the horses mouth and asked my mot tester. He is not aware of any upcoming change to any mot software or equipment.

If you're going to be sarcastic with replies, at least have the decency to be correct and have the information to back it up.Not like some old gossip women hanging over the fence.
""I read it on another forum" 😂😂😂😂

Whatever, this is a forum where we give our thoughts and opinions, nobody has to take any notice, I don't log every piece of information and the guy who told me his MOT equipment had been updated is an ex racer and owns a reputable garage in Salisbury. I have also never been accused of bullshitting or being a gossip woman. I gave up worrying about keyboard warriors or doing investigations when I retired. But as you seem to want to throw insults around, I am going down to the RT meet in Monmouth next weekend and will be very happy to discuss your comments in person. Just seek me out.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:The guy who told me his MOT equipment had been updated is an ex racer and owns a reputable garage in Salisbury.
Is the guy in Salisbury VP Motorcycles, https://vpmotorcycles.co.uk/
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:The exhaust valve opens at anything above idle then it’ll make no difference if it’s been removed.
This video shows the exhaust valve in action whilst the bike is being ridden, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-pPKzu_NI

"Having freed up the exhaust flapper valve I was interested to see it in action. The answer is that the valve is fully open (anti-clockwise, against the stop) the vast majority of the time, only closing when the bike is pretty much at idle. This confirms that the valve is for noise control."
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: This video shows the exhaust valve in action whilst the bike is being ridden, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-pPKzu_NI

"Having freed up the exhaust flapper valve I was interested to see it in action. The answer is that the valve is fully open (anti-clockwise, against the stop) the vast majority of the time, only closing when the bike is pretty much at idle. This confirms that the valve is for noise control."
Like I said, only opens above idle. Only there to reduce noise at low speed (in town?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Casbar wrote:
Whatever, this is a forum where we give our thoughts and opinions, nobody has to take any notice, I don't log every piece of information and the guy who told me his MOT equipment had been updated is an ex racer and owns a reputable garage in Salisbury. I have also never been accused of bullshitting or being a gossip woman. I gave up worrying about keyboard warriors or doing investigations when I retired. But as you seem to want to throw insults around, I am going down to the RT meet in Monmouth next weekend and will be very happy to discuss your comments in person. Just seek me out.

😂😂😂
What a Wally.

Retired and looking for a fight,righto Rocky⚡⚡
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Casbar wrote:

Well said Casbar.

At least we know the answer to 'where's Wally' and the answer is .....he's at an RT meet.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

burridge01 wrote:
😂😂😂
What a Wally.

Retired and looking for a fight,righto Rocky⚡⚡

You do make a lot of assumptions about people you have never met. Just for the record, I am nowhere near state pension age, although I do receive my service pension.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The best Google can come up with is that there were some new MOT laws introduced in 2018.

"There are still no emissions tests carried out on bikes, besides the noise levels, which are purely down to the tester’s discretion. As long as there’s no mark saying ‘race use only’ or ‘not for road use’, an aftermarket exhaust could pass, though a current reason for rejection is if the type of noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition."

The laws on emissions are getting stricter

This only applies to diesel cars, so bikers don’t need to worry. If you do own a diesel car, you need to be aware that if a DPF (diesel particulate filter) is fitted, you’ll receive a major fault (a fail) if your MoT tester finds evidence that the DPF has been tampered with, or if smoke of any colour is coming from the exhaust.

Could this be where the don't tamper with the exhaust system comes from.

This is the latest GOV.UK updates for motorcycle MOT's, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... es/updates
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.