Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

Post by Graham88 »

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, my exhaust was replaced on Saturday due to the seized flap, a quote from Reiten Motorrad is that the replacement part is a new part number which has been modified by BMW and none of the ones changed so far have been back. I am unsure as to what has been changed.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Graham88 wrote: Not sure if it has been mentioned before, my exhaust was replaced on Saturday due to the seized flap, a quote from Reiten Motorrad is that the replacement part is a new part number which has been modified by BMW and none of the ones changed so far have been back. I am unsure as to what has been changed.

Well that is good news, I wonder if I got the new part then. There was a newer flap fitted to my 2014 bike that were then fitted to the 2019 1200s, but they still stuck. Fingers crossed and all that :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When recently speaking to a BMW Senior Technician, he made the comment/observation about the flap spindle orientation being in the vertical, allowing condensation & carbon to enter the bottom pivot point. Unlike the Camhead where the spindle is in the horizontal position and not part of the headers, therefore, can easily be replaced or removed.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Did this "Senior Technician" by any chance take any responsibility for designing the later model so that it could not be easily replaced or removed?  :))
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 127 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Sorry for bringing this old tread back to life. I found it a good read.
Now after reading what was said about BMW changing to a newer part number for the headers, i had a look at the 2 replacements my bike has had.
The first new headers were in August 2020 @ 4K, the part number is "C18.51.8.559.520"
The second new headers were in August 2022 @ 12K, the part number is "C18.51.9.829.769"
Now can anyone tell me if they have had the new part number headerds replaced with the same seized flapper valve.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angle Can Fly. :thumb: