Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: The best Google can come up with is that there were some new MOT laws introduced in 2018.

"There are still no emissions tests carried out on bikes, besides the noise levels, which are purely down to the tester’s discretion. As long as there’s no mark saying ‘race use only’ or ‘not for road use’, an aftermarket exhaust could pass, though a current reason for rejection is if the type of noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition."

The laws on emissions are getting stricter

This only applies to diesel cars, so bikers don’t need to worry. If you do own a diesel car, you need to be aware that if a DPF (diesel particulate filter) is fitted, you’ll receive a major fault (a fail) if your MoT tester finds evidence that the DPF has been tampered with, or if smoke of any colour is coming from the exhaust.

Could this be where the don't tamper with the exhaust system comes from.

All I was stating was that (allegedly - assuming my mate the mechanic isn't also bullshitting) that his MOT software has been updated to take into account motorcycle emissions testing. Now when this will be implemented I do not know, or even if it will be. But seems reasonable that if they are updating the software and issuing probes that it could be on the cards. You are not supposed to remove cats or tamper with the exhaust now! Again, whether this will be checked at MOT I do not know, although currently any aftermarket exhaust should have the approved for road sticker on it, not that many check. How a tester would know if the flap was stuck or not there I have no idea or if they would bother. This isn't the Spanish Inquisition, I was just stating what I had read and heard. But to have some prat on an internet forum just arbitrarily start to slag me off, frankly pisses me off. We normally have a good group on here, we do have some disagreements occasionally, but in the main we all respect each other, that is what makes this forum different from the other forums the numpties use. But sh1t happens sometimes. I'm not going to bother anymore responding to him or I am just lowering myself to his level.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I agree, it's only a matter of time before emissions and noise become part of the MOT test on motorcycles.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Well, sadly, I can add my name to the 'early flap failure' club! :)

My October 2020 bike threw up a warning light on Monday. Fault code reading by my dealer, Vertu Sunderland (formerly Cooper BMW) confirmed flap failure. Irritating, but it's covered by warranty, so I'm glad that it won't cost me anything. 5400 miles on the bike now.

It's especially annoying because the flap was well lubricated from early in the bike's life. Since I was aware of the problems others have encountered, when I fitted my Akrapovic silencer ( ;) !) after about 4 days of ownership, I applied some copper exhaust lubricant to the flap spindle and the spring pulley. I removed the Akra after about 2 months and refitted the original silencer and lubricated everything again. I'm not sure if my lubrication was helpful (apparently not!) or whether failures are not necessarily related to absence/presence of lubricant.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTs4me when you lubed the spindle did you check for full free movement of the butterfly valve by removing the cables ? Just curious.
RTs4me
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Levisp wrote: RTs4me when you lubed the spindle did you check for full free movement of the butterfly valve by removing the cables ? Just curious.

Hi Levisp, yes, I did. I cycled the ignition on and off, while the silencer was removed and observed the flap moving freely. Seems like my attempt at preventative maintenance didn't work!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTs4me wrote:I removed the Akra after about 2 months and refitted the original silencer.
May I ask, what was the reason for removing the Akra and refitting the original silencer.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTs4me
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

David. wrote: May I ask, what was the reason for removing the Akra and refitting the original silencer.

Trivial reason really - the Akra was the one I had on my previous 1200LC, with a single tailpipe outlet. It fitted the 1250 perfectly well (I think that the exhaust systems are identical 1200 vs. 1250), but the 1250 Akra has twin outlets. I'll probably fit one of those, as it's the more correct item for the 1250. Yep, I'm a bit OCD! ;D
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTs4me wrote:The 1250 Akra has twin outlets. I'll probably fit one of those, as it's the more correct item for the 1250.
Best fit the correct BMW approved Akra silencer, otherwise, when due, it will fail the MOT!
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Best fit the correct BMW approved Akra silencer, otherwise, when due, it will fail the MOT!

Why will it fail?

Do you know what the MOT regulations will be in October 2023
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

michaelc2710 wrote:
Do you know what the MOT regulations will be in October 2023

Well

That will depend on the MOT tester and how deaf he is  :))
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Apart from the visual differences,  what else if different that will cause it to fail an MOT?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

michaelc2710 wrote: Apart from the visual differences,  what else if different that will cause it to fail an MOT?

Nothing at the moment. Anyway you can always stick the standard can on for the MOT if worried. My 1250 can only has one pipe coming out of it. So nobody would know any different. I’m also a naughty boy I have my eu3 Akra on my 2019 1250. But the 2019 isn’t eu5 as far as I’m aware
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Nothing at the moment. Anyway you can always stick the standard can on for the MOT if worried. My 1250 can only has one pipe coming out of it. So nobody would know any different. I’m also a naughty boy I have my eu3 Akra on my 2019 1250. But the 2019 isn’t eu5 as far as I’m aware

Same here, mine from my 1250 (2019) is going on my 2021 when I get chance.

Before anyone does post with the differences the main one is "single pipe" was certified at 92dB stationary and the "twin pipe" at 89dB.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This article suggests that BMW were ahead of the game with the 2019 1250 RT, making it Euro 5 compliant.

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/03/29/20 ... de-review/

Does this mean, tampering with the exhaust system is not allowed and may result in a future MOT failure.

I believe it's now the case that on the 1250, when the exhaust flap valve sticks, the OBD flag it up and display a warning light.
This is part of being Euro 5 compliant, any fault which may effect emissions now has to be highlighted.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.