Garmin Zumo problem

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Garmin Zumo problem

Post by jackronner »

[Tech eejit here].  It came with the bike two years ago, rarely used.  I've never tried to update the maps or programs.  Suddenly, all I get as a map is the vehicle icon, with just a very few thin, unlabeled blue lines for streets, no matter the level of zoom.  It correctly shows direction of travel, time, etc., and all other menu items seem accessible and normal (but I haven't tried to input a route yet).  Is this just what happens when you don't update/download?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Zumo problem

Post by David. »

What Zumo model is it, on my 660, the blue lines are the "Trip Log" (where you have ridden),  when you "Clear Log", they disappear.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, David.  It's a 660.  Tried clearing the log, now all I have is the m-cycle shape on a dark field instead of a map.  The plus and minus for zoom, etc. is  there, just no roads or anything else.  Tried changing settings for normal vs. 3D and other stuff, but no change. Poking around, I saw that 2013 seems to be the last map installed.  It worked fine until about a week ago.  Strange.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Could try a "Master Reset".
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I'll try it tomorrow, if I can find it.  It's past my bedtime in California.  Thanks again.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:If I can find it.
How to Reset the Garmin zumo 660, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0td7d4BH9A
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Didn't work, but you saved me a bunch of time with that video!  Tried inputting a destination address, but it shows "No data found".  Perhaps the map function on this 2012 copyrighted iteration is just obsolete?  I'll try asking Garmin for an answer and will let you know.  Thanks for your efforts.
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

What is stopping you from hooking your garmin to a computer and Garmin Express and Basecamp this will let you see if its stuck in Global maps setting and update the unit
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Literally, what was stopping me was that the unit's holder refused to unlock, so couldn't access the port.  Solved that today and did a map download which seems to have worked.  BTW, once it's loaded into the Zumo, can I uninstall the Garmin app on my laptop to save space?  Still have no idea why it stopped working.

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Garmin support told me I'd lost the map function because the device couldn't store the existing map.  They suggested I download a smaller map, so I chose only the western North America one, and it worked.  So that's the fix if anybody has a similar problem.  I still don't see why it stopped working, as I'd never downloaded anything before and it worked fine. 
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Try this place https://zumouserforums.co.uk/

Masses of knowledge on there
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

jackronner wrote: Garmin support told me I'd lost the map function because the device couldn't store the existing map.  They suggested I download a smaller map, so I chose only the western North America one, and it worked.  So that's the fix if anybody has a similar problem.  I still don't see why it stopped working, as I'd never downloaded anything before and it worked fine.

Jack,

The standard Zumo 660 has a certain amount of onboard memory for storing maps. Once this becomes too small , you need to insert a Class 10 32Gb micro-SD card into the dedicated slot inside the battery compartment.

This will give you all the space you need for maps.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Garmin no longer fully support the Zumo 660. Until now, I've had full European maps stored on an SD card within the device. For the first time ever, with the most recent map update, I had to select a region, e.g. UK & Ireland to be loaded to the device internal memory. Additional maps had to be selected using either MapSource or MapInstall which is a PITA. You have to manually select the individual maps for the area coverage you want. Plus, the max. file size is 4GB, another limiting factor. For a potential Euro trip, I had a go at selecting all of France & Spain, seems to work ok. I think these maps would have to be deleted and others selected if venturing elsewhere. The previous option to install full European maps to the SD card is no longer available via Garmin Express.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Now I know why you guys are called "Hero" members.  I think I'll leave it at home when I buy my bike in France.  I'm going to try to get by with Google on my IPad for my trip through France and Spain this summer (?????), fingers crossed.  Every summer, a different part of Europe and Britain is my retirement plan.  Somebody has to do it!
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Why not purchase a cheap car sat nav in france and use that.