General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Zumo problem

Post by David. »

Another option is to purchase a Garmin SD card with full Europe coverage, https://www.activegps.co.uk/garmin-city ... ope-sd.htm#
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

BoB, Tho' I rely only on the spoken directions for safety reasons, I actually prefer using my strapped-on IPad with its larger screen and ease of inputting of addresses/routes.  The only drawback is having to rely on wi-fi to change routes on the fly;  but I usually only need directions for city streets (it took me two hours to get out of Tours, France 10 yrs ago, and I decided I needed some GPS help), and there's usually some wi-fi in town or in the autoroute rest stops.  The worst thing in Europe is that even the major boulevards change names every mile or so!

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

The worst thing in Europe is that they're all in a foreign language! 😂😂😂😂😂
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Smiley,  Not a problem for me in France, but I'm just starting to cram some Spanish (I can sing in Portuguese cuz I love samba, but can't speak it).  Very few folks in France speak English - is it the same in Spain and Portugal?  Strangely, I have a strong desire to learn Scandinavian languages from all the shows on TV here - but it would be useless since they ALL speak English (among others).
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

David. wrote: Garmin no longer fully support the Zumo 660. Until now, I've had full European maps stored on an SD card within the device. For the first time ever, with the most recent map update, I had to select a region, e.g. UK & Ireland to be loaded to the device internal memory. Additional maps had to be selected using either MapSource or MapInstall which is a PITA. You have to manually select the individual maps for the area coverage you want. Plus, the max. file size is 4GB, another limiting factor. For a potential Euro trip, I had a go at selecting all of France & Spain, seems to work ok. I think these maps would have to be deleted and others selected if venturing elsewhere. The previous option to install full European maps to the SD card is no longer available via Garmin Express.
David, that sounds like a bug with Garmin Express - and Garmin are introducing them and fixing them all the time[/size][size=78%].    You should get confirmation that this is not confined to your 660. [/size]

Now whether Garmin will fix the bug...........
John Bentall
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

jackronner wrote: BoB, Tho' I rely only on the spoken directions for safety reasons, I actually prefer using my strapped-on IPad with its larger screen and ease of inputting of addresses/routes.  The only drawback is having to rely on wi-fi to change routes on the fly;  but I usually only need directions for city streets (it took me two hours to get out of Tours, France 10 yrs ago, and I decided I needed some GPS help),and there's usually some wi-fi in town or in the autoroute rest stops.  The worst thing in Europe is that even the major boulevards change names every mile or so!

If you like your iPad for navigation then rather than google maps which is impossible to plan a route on and you need a connection then I would highly recommend trying Scenic 2 app. There will be a new version later this summer Scenic 3 which will be using a new map provider but Scenic 2 users will be able to upgrade for free. It's a great app. The best planning experience. Downloadable maps for offline use. Good folder structure to store routes and favourites. Ability to track rides. There is also a WebApp which can convert Google MyMaps KMZ files and Google Map Hyperlinks and import them into the app. The app can also export and import GPX files. The developer is very helpful and there is a good active forum for answering questions.

Worth a look.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

[size=2px]"Very few folks in France speak English"[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Not [/size]strictly[size=2px] true, 40% speak [/size]English, a lot more know some, they[size=2px] just will not to the English that [/size]don't[size=2px] at least try to speak [/size]French[size=2px].[/size]
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

beemerboy9 wrote:You should get confirmation that this is not confined to your 660.
Garmin have come back with, "there are device limitations due to the age of the unit, we do not future proof devices and technology becomes outdated".

I've spoken to a non-forum member who has now got the same problem with his Zumo 660 as I have with mine.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Bob21,  40%, seriously??  I'm amazed!  My first experience there goes back 50 yrs, so I guess it's changed.  Plus, I speak it fluently, so I suppose the change has gone unnoticed by me.  What's still frustrating is that they speak like a machine gun, rather than slowing down for a poor foreigner.  I speak it quickly, so I suppose they think (justifiably) that I can understand it equally fast.  Wrong.