Options for radio and/or mp3 player on A Prep Bike

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Supruet

Options for radio and/or mp3 player on A Prep Bike

Post by Supruet »

Hi there,

This is probably a stupid question. I just acquired 2005 R1200RT with audio prep (speakers, antenna, and wiring plus cooling fan). I would like to listen to radio from a compact receiver and MP3 player. How can i find any unit that would fit in the RH glovebox without taking the whole 1 DIN unit? Any recommendations and the way to connect that unit to 17-pin connectors.

Thanks in advance.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Options for radio and/or mp3 player on A Prep Bike

Post by beemerboy9 »

I have had radios on all my RT and have the following advice for you.

The speakers become very unclear at speeds above, say,  60-70 kph. Nor will you hear them in noisy traffic.

The modern solution is to buy a bluetooth headset for your helmet and to link this to a smartphone. Some folk also use the smartphone as a navigation device.

My advice is to forget about the 2005 technology and go for something contemporary.

Where do you live, by the way?

Kind Regards,

John

If you are dead set on a radio, you should be able to get hold of the the J&M Corp products fairly easily.

Last edited by beemerboy9 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Supruet

Post by Supruet »

Thank you, John.

I guess I should give up such idea and find a more practical solution as you suggested.

I live in Thailand. Sometimes when traffic is bad, music could help. But yes, i will focus on riding. With only 300kms on RT, i lurve it to be honest.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

One cheap option is a small radio or your phone in a pocket with bud ear pieces under your helmet. A friend of mine does that when she is riding pillion.