General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

21 R1250RT insurance question

Post by Arek »

Hi all,

I know the UK insurance stuff is weird and I'm still not getting it after 15 years here.
So the story and question at this same time is.
I'm buying new 21 model, and try to run some quotes for insurance.
Already have RT 1250 insured with BeMoto and I'm extreme happy with that so I'll give them a call later to see what they say. But it might be unpleasant surprise according to my findings.
I did usual run in the comparison sites, and here is my total surprise. I have only 6 quotes, when normally I've got around 50.
The lowest one was MCE for about 360 - sound not that bad. But rest of them landed in 700 range. And the winner is BMW Motorrad insurance with £2500. I even called them why the hell BMW branded insurer try rip me off totally. They do not have any answers for that. Bravo BMW
My 2 yo land in the range of £250 for me quoted last week.
So why that huge difference? Almost this same bike. Yeah, I know TFT, etc. But the purchase price is this same really.
What's going on?
Maybe someone have better experience and give me some tips how to solve insane prices. And where to call?

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: 21 R1250RT insurance question

Post by Casbar »

Insurance has gone up, but a brand new bike costs more for the first year. Some companies including IAM Surety will not quote on bikes costing more than 18k they send it out to another underwriter. Also on a new bike, you are getting new replacement for the first year, so effectively GAP insurance.

Might be worth doing a search on UKGSER forum, there has been loads of posts about insurance costs for new GS and GSA. Everyone is finding the same. From reading on there, your lucky your not trying to insure a new Gold Wing. I personally wouldn't touch MCE with a barge pole, too many horror stories. Also try Principle Insurance, for my 1250 I flip between them, Bennetts and IAM. Also be wary of companies that are throwing stuff in you don't want.
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Thanks Casbar.
I did run another comparison and that one went better. Most of the reasonable ones are around £370 which is acceptable.
One of them is Bennets so I have some choice. Motorcycle Direct, BMF, BikeSure are the other ones. But I personally don't know them well.
I know insuring new bike is "fun" got that 2 years ago. But BMW branded insurance quoted for their bike for £2500 is insane. Who the hell manage that one?
Thanks for other tips. I'm not IAM so probably can't use this one. But will try give a shot to Principal.

MY current insurer agreed for extra £5 change my existing policy (run out 21st this month) so I took it to have a bit of time for good research.
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Viking John »

Bikesure in Norfolk are usually OK.
a discount for membership of MAG
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Why not try MCN insurance they state its run by bikers for bikers !!!!!!
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Something else to consider is the "hidden costs" in quotes. Renewed mine last week after using a comparison website, Bennetts were the cheapest at 150 quid but the excess was 650 quid (others over 700). My current insurer, Hastings was 220 but the excess was 375.

Also, how much do they charge when making midterm changes? Some seem to charge more than others, this caught me out a few years ago with CN when changing my policy from retired to employed part-time.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Arek wrote: But BMW branded insurance quoted for their bike for £2500 is insane. Who the hell manage that one?
Answer: Devitt

BMW Insurance is insane.
John Bentall
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

One more question sort of related to insurance. Casbar mentioned IAM. I am not member of it as I mentioned. And never think about joining really. I had few police force training days so I'm thinking I'm not bad raider. Obviously what I read IAM is about advanced training. That's fine. I think it is great idea. I'm thinking about that more pragmatically. How much real world insurance reduction I can expect if I'll join and do IAM certificate?

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Arek wrote: One more question sort of related to insurance. Casbar mentioned IAM. I am not member of it as I mentioned. And never think about joining really. I had few police force training days so I'm thinking I'm not bad raider. Obviously what I read IAM is about advanced training. That's fine. I think it is great idea. I'm thinking about that more pragmatically. How much real world insurance reduction I can expect if I'll join and do IAM certificate?

IAM or RoSPA advanced training is about extra training and improving how you ride and access different situations. I can honestly say, since I did my IAM and RoSPA 6 years or so ago, it has improved my riding. I did my RoSPA re-test 3 weeks ago, so good for another 3 years, I have noticed since doing the training I have had literally no Oh Sh1t moments whilst out and about and I do ride all year around as a Blood Biker. But and here is the crux, the reason is to improve, not to get savings on insurance as the insurance savings will not pay for the membership or training costs. So it is a benefit, not a reason to do it :) 
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Casbar wrote: But and here is the crux, the reason is to improve, not to get savings on insurance as the insurance savings will not pay for the membership or training costs. So it is a benefit, not a reason to do it
And this is the honest answer I really appreciate. Thanks a lot for that Casbar. I'm riding since I was 15 (that will be a bit of time ago  ;) ) As mentioned did some police training days (abroad, but that's not matter really). Didn't had like you said "Oh Sh1t" moments and I'm riding all year round. Definitely not that much like you as blood biker.

Maybe I'll take free assessment ride offered from my local IAM branch. And then will see if this is something for me. Thanks once again.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Arek wrote: But BMW branded insurance quoted for their bike for £2500 is insane. Who the hell manage that one?

These "BMW", "Ducati", etc. insurance co's are nothing more than a branding exercise (I was involved in setting up one many years ago). In theory the insurance co gets more business and the manufacturer gets the kudos of having "their own insurance", there may be other advantages to either side depending on the contract between the insurance co and the manufacture. One of the terms can be that the insurance co will always quote even if it is a bad risk or they don't want that particular business for whatever reason. So what does the insurance co do in those circumstances? They give a ridiculously high quote that no-one in their right mind would accept.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Arek wrote: And this is the honest answer I really appreciate. Thanks a lot for that Casbar. I'm riding since I was 15 (that will be a bit of time ago  ;) ) As mentioned did some police training days (abroad, but that's not matter really). Didn't had like you said "Oh Sh1t" moments and I'm riding all year round. Definitely not that much like you as blood biker.

Maybe I'll take free assessment ride offered from my local IAM branch. And then will see if this is something for me. Thanks once again.

I would strongly recommend if you do, become a Fellowship member of the IAM or do RoSPA, both insist on re-tests every 3 years. Those in our blood bike group that are not Fellow members or RoSPA have to do a check ride with our assessor every 3 years. The skills need checking and bad habits ironed out, so it isn't really a pass for life, although the standard IAM membership pass is, but for piece of mind a test or check ride every 3 years is a good thing to do.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Arek wrote: How much real world insurance reduction I can expect if I'll join and do IAM certificate?
I live in London where the insurance premiums are horrendous. I reckon to get about a 35% reduction in premium on both bike and car via the IAM's preferred insurers.
John Bentall
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

beemerboy9 wrote: I live in London where the insurance premiums are horrendous. I reckon to get about a 35% reduction in premium on both bike and car via the IAM's preferred insurers.

That is good, I switch between IAM, Principle and Bennetts. There is only normally no more than £20 difference in quotes. I am IAM and RoSPA, it certainly isn't anywhere 35% difference. The IAM garage policy is a bit of a pain, in that the bike isn't covered for damage or theft if the bike is parked on my drive or within 500 metres of my house, but a lot of companies are now enforcing a garage policy if you have one