Oil change site glass capacity question

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
[email protected]

Oil change site glass capacity question

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, just changed oil in my new (2009) RT. I used Motul 7100 10/50 syn and feel good about this choice. The containers show capacity at 1.05 quarts per. That comes to 4.2 qts total which is bike's capacity, so all s/b good. I filled and started, then filled and started and ran again. Then I went for a 5 mile ride, returned, center stand - but checking sight glass again, I do not see any open space in the sight glass. B4 draining, I warmed the bike up (oil was warm, not hot) and let drain for 2 hours. I was hoping to see glass about 3/4 full, but obviously I'm wondering if I (somehow) overfilled the reservoir. Any Comments. Thanks, Dave
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil change site glass capacity question

Post by David. »

The engine oil capacity at an oil and filter change is 4.0 litres or 4.2 US quarts. Both Hexhead and Camhead RT's have the same engine oil capacity. On my Camhead, if 4 litres is added, the level at the oil level window will show as overfull. This was the case at the last oil and filter change done by a BMW dealer. They just put a measured quantity in of 4 litres. I just ride it around until a small amount of oil is used and the level then shows within the level window. I like to see the oil level within the window when the engine is cold. When hot, it is possible that the level may appear as too high.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

[email protected] wrote: Hi, just changed oil in my new (2009) RT. I used Motul 7100 10/50 syn and feel good about this choice. The containers show capacity at 1.05 quarts per. That comes to 4.2 qts total which is bike's capacity, so all s/b good. I filled and started, then filled and started and ran again. Then I went for a 5 mile ride, returned, center stand - but checking sight glass again, I do not see any open space in the sight glass. B4 draining, I warmed the bike up (oil was warm, not hot) and let drain for 2 hours. I was hoping to see glass about 3/4 full, but obviously I'm wondering if I (somehow) overfilled the reservoir. Any Comments. Thanks, Dave
There is always oil in the cylinder head covers unless you remove them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sounds to me you have over filled the bike. The quantity that the manual states is for a dry engine. In other words first fill. When doing oil changes there will always be some oil left in side the engine. As previous poster said the cylinder heads hold some oil that will not drain. Now I'm not familiar with your model but do read what your owners manual says regards how to check oil level. The RT has a different procedure to other bikes.

Here is what the LC manual says and it's very clear on the correct procedure.

Attachments
Oil Check Procedure.pdf
(528 KiB) Downloaded 172 times