Chunnel fares

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Chunnel fares

Post by jackronner »

I understand they're probably fluctuating with COVID,  but what are the approximate fares (one way and round trip) for one person on a bike during the summer?
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Chunnel fares

Post by MikeS »

The fares are variable depending on the date and time of day that you want to travel, I've paid between £30 and £70 for a one way ticket.

What I liked to do was book a standard (fixed time) ticket for the outward journey and a flexible ticket for the return. The advantage of the Flexiplus (as they call it) is that you can turn up on any day and travel. Useful if you find that you spend a day or two longer on your trip. It does cost significantly more however.

If you opt for a fixed time ticket then I think that you have a slot of 2 hours to turn up without incurring any extra charges. I've usually turned up early on the way out and been offered an earlier train without any paying any extra.

The website is very easy to find your way round:
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/

jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, MikeS.  Just wanted to get a general idea if it was so expensive that I'd risk sea-sickness.  I'll have traveled out of Britain by ferry, hovercraft and now chunnel.  50 yrs ago my English Uncle gave me directions to the "Harridge" ferry.  Someone sorted me about two exits past Harwich.  Embarrassing, especially since I spent a lot of time in Greenwich Village/Connecticut.  Duh.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I tend to save up my Tesco vouchers as you get 3 times the face value against a Eurotunnel ticket, I haven't actually handed over any actual cash to Eurotunnel for years.