Fuel Strip

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
matgriff

Fuel Strip

Post by matgriff »

Hi all.  My 2005RT left me stranded yesterday on a ride out through Wales.... on the way home it died, I suspected a fuel problem straight away, and I was right it was dry... annoying thing was that the gauge still showed 1/4 of a tank and it read 110 miles to empty.  I'm guessing the fuel strip has failed in some way.

It's a bit strange because the gauge seems to work OK in the top half, If I fill up it reads full with a range of >300 miles, it then seems to go down correctly, and I usually fill it back up when it gets down to about a 1/4 of a tank, but this time as we were only about 50 miles from home I didn't bother. I now know it doesn't read less than 1/4 full with a range of about 100 miles showing.

Luckily we were quite near a petrol station, and after a bit of faffing around with a pop bottle and a pipe and my mates RT, I got it to the station. I added 12 litres (in case I had to drain the tank to fix it) and the reading went to around 180 miles to Empty, so it's working sort of, ie it added 80 miles.

Do I need to just replace the fuel strip ? I have the Motoscan tool to calibrate it first.  From what I've read the fix seems to be a bit hit n mix, but as the bike is in great condition and I don't want to leave it broken, I'm tempted to just buy the new part.

Thx
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel Strip

Post by David. »

Found a video by Superbike Surgery Ltd, "BMW Motorbike Faulty Fuel Strip Sensor Fix", shows all you'll need to know.

(Sorry, can't post a link, my PC is being replaced overnight, a "Google Search" will find it).
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found another video by Jimmy2Tea's, "BMW R1200GS (K25) Replacing a faulty fuel level strip sensor".

Shows how to connect the strip to the tank filler neck without being a gynecologist!

(PC now not being returned until tomorrow).
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

Hi, thanks for the info. Yes I watched that first video, seems pretty straightforward. I think I'll just buy the new fuel strip and replace it.

Thx

Mat
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

You will need to calibrate it once you change it, for which you need a GS-911 or a dealer
zzwenn

Post by zzwenn »

@matgriff did you solve the issue? How did you?
Basically I have the same problem. Run dry at 325 miles whilst the fuel gauge showed about 1/5 full. Now I just use the odometer to gauge the fuel :D
But it would be nice to fix it :)
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

Not done it yet, I'll wait until winter and then strip it all down & replace. Just using the trip meter for the moment.

Oh, yes I have a GS911 tool to do the calibration too :-)

Mat
ds99

Post by ds99 »

my 2007 RT has had three fuel strips replaced. all have failed in someway.

sometimes the "distance to empty" fails completely. sometimes it mis-reads.

i gave up on it and just fill when the trip counter reaches near 280 miles
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Just tried the piezo trick with my faulty fuel strip. It took a couple of days to register as it should but at least it's done it and apprears to be working right at present. Noticed that when i filled the tank again today it took a few minutes to register from 1/4 full to full, but it appears to be working ok. Still going by the miles covered route at present until I know for sue it is reading correctly.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

The ZFE only polls the fuels strip once every 30 seconds, and it requires 2 readings to change the level, so it always takes time to register the change of level. If you have a GS-911 you can see the heater voltage being applied and removed.
I have tried the piezo trick a few times but gave up on it in the end. If the break is in the sense track then when you weld the strip back together the weld may have a slightly different resistance, so the reading may be inaccurate, and I found after a while it breaks again anyway. Once upon a time I thought about doing a float conversion (there is a kit somewhere) but I think whenever I finally get home I will replace the bike rather than the fuel strip.
zzwenn

Post by zzwenn »

For the records (this post has been here for a while)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRRy1yCpHc&t=71s
has a cheap and easy fix.

Cheers

matgriff wrote: Hi all.  My 2005RT left me stranded yesterday on a ride out through Wales.... on the way home it died, I suspected a fuel problem straight away, and I was right it was dry... annoying thing was that the gauge still showed 1/4 of a tank and it read 110 miles to empty.  I'm guessing the fuel strip has failed in some way.

It's a bit strange because the gauge seems to work OK in the top half, If I fill up it reads full with a range of >300 miles, it then seems to go down correctly, and I usually fill it back up when it gets down to about a 1/4 of a tank, but this time as we were only about 50 miles from home I didn't bother. I now know it doesn't read less than 1/4 full with a range of about 100 miles showing.

Luckily we were quite near a petrol station, and after a bit of faffing around with a pop bottle and a pipe and my mates RT, I got it to the station. I added 12 litres (in case I had to drain the tank to fix it) and the reading went to around 180 miles to Empty, so it's working sort of, ie it added 80 miles.

Do I need to just replace the fuel strip ? I have the Motoscan tool to calibrate it first.  From what I've read the fix seems to be a bit hit n mix, but as the bike is in great condition and I don't want to leave it broken, I'm tempted to just buy the new part.

Thx
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

I tried the quick fix method a couple of times but ended up replacing the fuel strip. So far so good on it. Not a cheap sort but if it works and stops me ending up stuck at the roadside again then it's woth it.