Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 402 times
Great Britain

Crash bars or head covers?

Post by sakm »

As above really

What and why?

My 2016 has head covers already but I am wondering if I should fit crash bars instead? do they offer more protection?
bushbikie

Re: Crash bars or head covers?

Post by bushbikie »

Both! Head covers to protect from rocks, crap, etc, thrown up from the road. Engine bars to provide additional protection in the event of a slow speed tip-over.
2016 San Marino Blue
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

bushbikie wrote: Both! Head covers to protect from rocks, crap, etc, thrown up from the road. Engine bars to provide additional protection in the event of a slow speed tip-over.

Both it is then  :))

Has anyone had any issues with rear bars interfering with pillions feet? I have heard some people mention it with certain bars
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

sakm wrote:
Both it is then  :) )

Has anyone had any issues with rear bars interfering with pillions feet? I have heard some people mention it with certain bars

Have a look at Illium rear bars, you can fit with any front bars. They are low so don't impact passengers calves and they are quickly removable if you ever ride without bags. There is a UK distributor. sportouring.co.uk
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote:
Have a look at Illium rear bars, you can fit with any front bars. They are low so don't impact passengers calves and they are quickly removable if you ever ride without bags. There is a UK distributor. sportouring.co.uk

Yes I have seen those

I also saw the price!  :))  but needs must  :D
wbunning

Post by wbunning »

Casbar wrote:

I just did exactly that. I went with Wunderlich engine bars for a couple of reasons.. the mounts seemed stronger than Ilium, and I had a couple of price-reductions that got them into the garage at about $40 US less than Ilium. But I strongly favored the Ilium rear bars for their ease of removal when riding without the panniers.

My feeling is that the bars offer more protection for the plastics in the event of a tip-over, and have the advantage of offering placement for highway pegs. The rear set is helpful in lifting the bike up on center stand. I’m in the camp that believes none of the bars or valve cover protectors are of significant value in a real crash.
Last edited by wbunning on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

wbunning wrote:
I just did exactly that. I went with Wunderlich engine bars for a couple of reasons.. the mounts seemed stronger than Ilium, and I had a couple of price-reductions that got them into the garage at about $40 US less than Ilium. But I strongly favored the Ilium rear bars for their ease of removal when riding without the panniers.

My feeling is that the bars offer more protection for the plastics in the event of a tip-over, and have the advantage of offering placement for highway pegs. The rear set is helpful in lifting the bike up on center stand. I’m in the camp that believes none of the bars or valve cover protectors are of significant value in a real crash.

To be honest the engine bars would be the least of my worries in a crash as they are usually a waste of time and can do more damage than good!

I am more interested in drops than anything else really