Boy, did I confuse my mechanic today w/ ABS & Tire Pressure stuff... help?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
robt77burke

Boy, did I confuse my mechanic today w/ ABS & Tire Pressure stuff... help?

Post by robt77burke »

Hello RT enthusiasts.  I got a steal of a deal on an 07 RT that had a couple issues. 
Issue 1: It had a sun-cooked speedo LCD, so i replaced it with a used one.  Shortly thereafter I got the Tire icon on the dash with the exclamation mark on it, and the Tire pressure reading on the dash said "--  --".    After doing a bit of research, I thought it was most likely dead batteries in the tire pressure "sender" units [sorry if I do not know and use correct BMW terminology].  I've had the bike almost 3 years and am ready to sell, but wanted to resolve fault codes that tend to depreciate bikes.  Took to mechanic today, (from whom I purchased the bike, and who has serviced this bike from new for the previous owner).  He informed me there WAS NO TPMS on this particular bike, and said the icon must have popped up because I changed the speedo (brain). 

Question 1: Is there any way of "flashing" or telling the computer to turn OFF the tire pressure icon? I am totally fine with unorthodox solutions that work.

Issue 2 ( a bigger issue):  Red Triangle, "Brake Failure" steady lit, no speedo, no cruise, rear brake light NEVER turns OFF with ignition on.  Never dims to running light.  Not good.  But what stumped my mechanic is that SOMETHING is draining my battery.  New battery installed this week and within a day, it's flat. Mechanic says ABS pump needs rebuild (anyone in SoCal wanna give me a quote?)

Question 2: Has anyone ever had ABS Pump failure flatten battery? Or is this most likely an unrelated problem / (Issue #3) ?  [deadpan] "Yay"  ::)
Thanks for civil helpful answers. Bobby (btw a new owner of S1000XR, but I still love my RT)