Independent Workshops

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Re: Independent Workshops

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: Exactly, even if you have a warranty, BMW allow you to go 1 month or 1,000 miles over the next service due date/mileage.

Or, go to The Workshop at York, it'll be cheaper and nearer.

I still haven't decided what I am going to do as yet!

I picked the bike up in June from Allen Jefferies obviously with the 2 year warranty and I wanted them to check something out while its there but £££££

After the two years is up I will be doing it myself. I am just awaiting delivery of all the special BMW tools for the cam timing and TDC tool and I bought the gs-911 the other week too
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My understanding is that whilst a bike is under a new, used or insured (extended) warranty, service work can be completed by any VAT registered garage. However, remedial warranty work needs to be done at a BMW dealer. I'm having a handlebar combination switch replaced at a dealer under an Insured Warranty but will be taking the bike to an independent for servicing.

"Reasonable diagnostic charges will only be accepted as part of a valid claim. You will be responsible for diagnostic costs not covered by the T&C's of this warranty."
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Thanks David for clarification
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: My understanding is that whilst a bike is under a new, used or insured (extended) warranty, service work can be completed by any VAT registered garage. However, remedial warranty work needs to be done at a BMW dealer. I'm having a handlebar combination switch replaced at a dealer under an Insured Warranty but will be taking the bike to an independent for servicing.

"Reasonable diagnostic charges will only be accepted as part of a valid claim. You will be responsible for diagnostic costs not covered by the T&C's of this warranty."

Thats exactly right and even the sales guy explained all that to me when I bought the bike

The worst part for me is I have always done my own servicing and know my way round a bike and how to do a job and probably better than some "mechanics" yet warranty screws you over by having to pay someone
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For 7 months of the year, I'm prepared to bear the cost of an Insured Warranty and get bespoke servicing done at an independent.

I don't think it's an unreasonable expense for the peace of mind. If the bike goes wrong and they do, it's expensive to fix them.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

sakm wrote:
The worst part for me is I have always done my own servicing and know my way round a bike and how to do a job and probably better than some "mechanics" yet warranty screws you over by having to pay someone

When I bought my bike back in 2014 I had the first 600 mile service done by dealer to keep initial warranty. After a year and 6K later the bike was working fine with no faults so I decided to do the rest of my servicing myself. For the next year while still under warranty I logged and photographed my service work and took the bike to dealer for the diagnostic software check. Got that check printed for my records. Basically I was ready to do battle if I needed to make a warranty claim. However the good news is that the bike has worked just fine and is coming up to 7 years old with 50k on the clock and has never been anywhere near a dealer. Obviously my strategy was risky. Personally would I do it again. Probably not if I could find a good independent workshop that could service the bike until warranty expires. Then I think the cost is worth it.

However whilst the bike is being serviced by someone else there are plenty of jobs that you as a DIY mechanic you can complete, such as tyres and particularly brakes. Also on the 6K service when its just an engine oil and filter change then I would do the final drive oil. The final drive oil is a 12K item but its cheap to replace the oil every 6K and in my book insurance. Also if you find a good independent who is happy for you to do some of the work and still sign off the service then consider replacing the air filter yourself at the 12 k service. The air filter is a time consuming job because of all the body work that needs to come off. This would save you a lot of labour cost for something that's easy to do once you get to the filter box. Also give you a chance for a good clean.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:Whilst the bike is being serviced by someone else there are plenty of jobs that you as a DIY mechanic you can complete. Also if you find a good independent who is happy for you to do some of the work and still sign off the service then consider replacing the air filter yourself.
I'm basically getting the independent to do an annual service which is mainly a visual inspection/health check inc. an oil & filter change. The cost of this is half an hour labour, with me supplying the oil & filter. This is the minimum they'll do to stamp the book and provide a VAT invoice/receipt.

I'll be doing the following items myself, rear wheel drive & gearbox oil change, checking valve clearances, replacing spark plugs & air filter. Yes, I accept that there is some risk attached to this approach but am prepared to take it. My bike is now 9 years old and has done 37K miles. The warranty claims have been for handlebar combination switches (twice) and front brake calipers. In both cases, there was no quibble over my service regime. I also document work done by myself and keep receipts for oils and parts used.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I plan to do as much as I possibly can and a dealer or independent do as little as possible I am trying to weigh up the cost of dealer/independent service vs the value of the warranty which is very hard as you just don't know if anything will go wrong and what it will cost

This was my first service on my FJR when I bought it! Granted it was 13 years old when I bought it and the suspension was shot when I bought it! I have no issues with doing a full service and preventative maintenance on a bike over the winter period. Final drive oil, brake fluid, engine oil and filters have always been changed every winter on my bikes regardless of mileage covered
2014-11-18 13.38.44.jpg
2014-11-18 13.38.44.jpg (243.23 KiB) Viewed 314 times
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sakm wrote:I am trying to weigh up the cost of dealer/independent service vs the value of the warranty which is very hard as you just don't know if anything will go wrong and what it will cost.
I pay £35 per month x 7 for an Insured Warranty (inc. roadside assistance etc.),  my excess is £100. The upcoming switch replacement is likely to be around £300 - £400, I'll have broken even this year. It's like any insurance, you pay it in the hope you don't need it. I wouldn't own a BMW motorcycle without having a warranty. If nothing goes wrong, it costs me £245 per year for the warranty. Now that I have found a VAT registered independent, the bespoke service costs going forward are quite reasonable, plus I'll have a service book fully stamped up.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: I pay £35 per month x 7 for an Insured Warranty (inc. roadside assistance etc.), my excess is £100. The upcoming switch replacement is likely to be around £300 - £400, I'll have broken even this year. It's like any insurance, you pay it in the hope you don't need it. I wouldn't own a BMW motorcycle without having a warranty. If nothing goes wrong, it costs me £245 per year for the warranty. Now that I have found a VAT registered independent, the bespoke service costs going forward are quite reasonable, plus I'll have a service book fully stamped up.

So £245 plus the cost of a service each year and the excess of £100

Thanks for that it does give me an insight in to whether its worth it or not
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sakm wrote:I picked the bike up in June from Allen Jefferies obviously with the 2 year warranty.
The 2 year used bike warranty isn't free, you'll have paid for that in the cost of the bike.

I know I did in 2014 when a used bike only came with a 1 year warranty, purchased from AJ's too.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

David. wrote: I'm basically getting the independent to do an annual service which is mainly a visual inspection/health check inc. an oil & filter change. The cost of this is half an hour labour, with me supplying the oil & filter. This is the minimum they'll do to stamp the book and provide a VAT invoice/receipt.

I'll be doing the following items myself, rear wheel drive & gearbox oil change, checking valve clearances, replacing spark plugs & air filter. Yes, I accept that there is some risk attached to this approach but am prepared to take it. My bike is now 9 years old and has done 37K miles. The warranty claims have been for handlebar combination switches (twice) and front brake calipers. In both cases, there was no quibble over my service regime. I also document work done by myself and keep receipts for oils and parts used.

Have you already fixed your 'beeping' exhaust flap David?  If not, it might be worth getting them to sort that for you too.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Have you already fixed your 'beeping' exhaust flap David.
Yes John, my flap is just fine thank you. Exhaust systems are not covered under an Insured Warranty.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are there any more Independent Workshops out there that can be added to the list.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Brian at BGM

http://bgmbmw.com/

I've used him for years.