Howz about a 1250 thread

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DavidMcK

Re: Howz about a 1250 thread

Post by DavidMcK »

Levisp wrote:
On topic

Think it should stay as is. Too much in common with the earlier models.

Off topic
Don't think your idea of NAV VII with Android OS would work, too many of us have Apple devices. Personally they should have just put CarPlay and Android Auto Play into the bike. Have a direct connection and allow users to choose what apps to navigate by. Job done !

If you look at the forum layout there is a section for R1200RT GPS, I think the R1250 TFT should be on that as well.

Without trying to take it off topic, BMW opted to use a riders phone as the navigation device, whatever phone that might be and that gives problems.

If they had developed a navigation device (and I use Android as a possible operating system for it) it would have meant the GPS has moved from the cockpit into a pocket and the navigation is displayed on the TFT.  Your iPhone would have connected to it just the same as it would with a Nav VI or any other navigation unit.

I have decided to dedicate a phone to the TFT for various reasons and many others will go down that route as well.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

There is also a forum section for Problems (Technical),  some topics may be best placed here. The key thing is the Subject/Thread title.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David you are probably right. I have been reading about the TFT navigation because I think its the way to go instead of dedicated devices but the current implementation seems to be fraught with problems. I have got to an age now where I cannot be bothered with the hassle and that's from someone who is used to tech and computers. It seems to me we are getting away from what motorcycling is all about. It may surprise you that I have ditched my TomTom Rider 550 and have gone to the simplest from of navigation. Not quite back to written directions but nearly. I bought a Beeline Moto. A truly simple form of navigation that just works.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I don't want to hijack this thread but in conclusion regarding the TFT and navigation, it works, it is far from perfect and you gotta work around the problems, but I now have a procedure that works from planning to implementation.  Think I will do a video soon and pass on a little knowledge.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Levisp wrote:

Off topic
Don't think your idea of NAV VII with Android OS would work, too many of us have Apple devices. Personally they should have just put CarPlay and Android Auto Play into the bike. Have a direct connection and allow users to choose what apps to navigate by. Job done !

[size=2px]IMHO they should have developed a device, call it a NAV VII or TFT Nav.  It could be using the Android operating system and have a few Apps on it.  We upload our routes to it and plug it into the USB port in the phone pocket.  And it works when you buy the bike, it simply connects in and there are no updates to it (unless BMW need to update it).[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Anecdotal: I just sold the Goldwing Model which comes with a Sat. Nav.; the bummer in this system is that they [/size]embedded[size=2px] a cheap Harman GPS system and as a caveat for those who want Car Play and Auto Android, the system does not work well with either one on the Goldwing.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I do like David's idea that they should have had NAV VII but not with the connectivities to other units except the Bluetooth. There is too much variance in technology, [/size]configuration[size=2px] and software in trying to sync apps, cell OS, bluetooth, and the bike's electronic...that seems to me, a recipe of complexities that can only result on systemic failures--in particular, as each of these electronic resources updates their own software.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Just so that it don't look like a thread highjack: I thought it was nice when the 'wethead' thread came on line, I thought it would be nice if one could flash on a thread for 1250/s the same way...but hey, whatevers. If logic is a priority in this conversation, the differences between the 1200 [/size]preceding[size=2px] the wethead are not any more radical or unimportant than the changes from the 1250 to the 1200. Therefore, I don't see the logic of that point of view in the conversation--other than folks just don't want change. I can pretty much guarantee you that 1250 owners are browsing looking for 1250 topics and no one with a 1250 is any longer interested in the 1200 issues. Then on every thread, folks are gonna have to ID which engine size bike they have. And, as it appears to me from shopping around for accessories, many things that fit the 1200 do not fit the 1250. [/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]You may want to think also about the marketing value of this forum: as soon as someone comes up with a 1250 dedicated forum, all the 1250 owners are going to migrate out of here. Many businesses nowadays go 'obsolete' in their market because of crystalized administrative constructs unwilling to change. ...'m just saying![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Change is difficult for humans, ain't it? Yet, its the only constant in this world today. [/size]
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

wethead wrote:Then on every thread, folks are gonna have to ID which engine size bike they have.
Adding bike and year model in profile setting would be helpful too,  viewtopic.php?p=37488#p37488
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DavidMcK wrote:If you look at the forum layout there is a section for R1200RT GPS, I think the R1250 TFT should be on that as well.
GPS and TFT are now both in the same forum section, viewforum.php?f=3.0
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

STeinar wrote:I was more thinking about removing the 1200 from all main topics - to more include all models.
https://www.1200rt.com/index.php?action=forum
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

i fully agree with one of the previous comments , all this tech /download /upload / communication is taking motorcycling away from what it is  , and if you are constantly fiddling with your TFT or whatever how can you be concentrating on the road ahead ? all leading to more road accidents.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

STeinar has taken onboard and responded to comments within this thread, thank you.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

hammo wrote: i fully agree with one of the previous comments , all this tech /download /upload / communication is taking motorcycling away from what it is  , and if you are constantly fiddling with your TFT or whatever how can you be concentrating on the road ahead ? all leading to more road accidents.

It's the opposite really, the Tft is far easier to read than the analogue clocks so you spend less time looking at it and more time watching the road.

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I am getting sucked into commenting again about the TFT, I will have to be stronger.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that the screen is nice but navigation around things range from difficult to plain stupid, for example, if you set the favourites display (which is the only thing on the bike you can choose what you want to display) to say the odometer then you have no fuel gauge.

If you are on the map screen its Up menu to navigation, Up menu to tachometer screen then Up menu until you get the fuel gauge, if you want to put it back on Odometer its Up menu until that comes back then down menu twice to get back to the maps screen.

Has anyone ever had a motor vehicle of any type where the fuel gauge, odometer and engine temp gauge is not shown on the dash?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DavidMcK wrote: I am getting sucked into commenting again about the TFT, I will have to be stronger.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that the screen is nice but navigation around things range from difficult to plain stupid, for example, if you set the favourites display (which is the only thing on the bike you can choose what you want to display) to say the odometer then you have no fuel gauge.

If you are on the map screen its Up menu to navigation, Up menu to tachometer screen then Up menu until you get the fuel gauge, if you want to put it back on Odometer its Up menu until that comes back then down menu twice to get back to the maps screen.

Has anyone ever had a motor vehicle of any type where the fuel gauge, odometer and engine temp gauge is not shown on the dash?

Thanks for all your efforts around the TFT, have been reading your posts on here and on the LT Forum and you along with a few others are becoming the TFT go do gurus. We will be taking  delivery of a new 21 1250 to our blood bike group, so I have been following the issues with interest as this will drive our solution for navigation.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

simbo wrote:
It's the opposite really, the Tft is far easier to read than the analogue clocks so you spend less time looking at it and more time watching the road.

My 14 bike I have set centre display to digital speed. Its big and clear and that's all I need. So I see no difference there between mine and full TFT. Earlier bikes with all analogue yes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On a Camhead RT, the sat. nav. can be mounted centrally above the dashboard.
When used as a more accurate speedo than the analogue clocks, less eye movement is required to safely view it.

The fuel gauge, odometer (or trip) and engine (oil) temp gauge can all be viewed on the dash at the same time.

The on-board computer (BC) can be used via the "INFO" button to display, ambient temperature, range, average speed, average consumption, oil level & tyre pressure.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.