Numb Bum

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Numb Bum

Post by hammo »

Dunno if its only me but the seat on my 2019 RTLE is terrible (same as the one on my old 2018 model) i always keep sliding back and feel like someone is trying to pull my privates off !!!! have tried cooler cover and Gel Pad but to no joy , has anyone invested in a Sargent seat in the UK ? would welcome any comments the write up on them is very good , but honest comments from owners is better !!!
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Re: Numb Bum

Post by Arek »

Hi. Had similar stuff on my RT.
Bought Sargent early this year and did few trips already. The longest was NC500. I'm thinking I can say something maybe.
Difference between stock and Sargent in comfort is huge. Stock after few hours I started looking for very frequent stops. Sargent I can ride all day long.
Sargent seems to be more firm in some parts, however somehow it is much more comfortable.
I can say it was one of the best money spent this year on my bike.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I have the standard stock seat and can reach the ground on the balls of my feet but I cannot flat-foot on both sides.  Given the extra width of a Sargent seat would you recommend going for the "Low" version?
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Go with the low seat, HorsPiste.  I bought a BMW low rider seat (tho' haven't really gone long distances on it), and it makes backing up, etc., less of a tipsy adventure.  Try taking out all the height adjustment mechanism, and pop the return spring on the front pegs so that they can be folded back so you don't bark your shins every time you back up. Gotta say, Sargent type seats seem very hard to me for long distance driving, plus they tend to flare out in a way that prevents you from putting your legs straight down to get the most out of your inseam.  The stock seats on my '09 isn't perfect, but no complaints so far on 600 mile days since the padding's pretty thick. 
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Hors Piste wrote: I have the standard stock seat and can reach the ground on the balls of my feet but I cannot flat-foot on both sides.  Given the extra width of a Sargent seat would you recommend going for the "Low" version?

So I had stock seat as well BMW low one. Stock was better for longer journeys, however I had issue with my short legs. Didn't feel secure. As I get also low seat from BMW I used this one for rides, however it was not great for longer trips.
I went for Sargent low version. It is different profile and shape. So it feel for me like middle between BMW stock and low. For me it is acceptable compromise. I feel confident enough, plus much better comfort.

burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Got a Touratech on mine and I can honestly say it's the most comfortable seat I've had,on any bike.

Mines the high version cos I've got proper legs😂😂
BobM

Post by BobM »

Hi, After seeing one of the guys at a Xmas RTE with a `coolcovers`on his GS, I got one for my 2014 RT. I kept it on all the time and found it helped make things a bit more comfy all the time, not just when it was hot. Really good on the RBLR1000. Same cover fits on the 1250.Cheers.
RTeousJohn

Post by RTeousJohn »

After only 10,000 miles I gave up on the standard thickness BMW rider seat,  It's a shame that this premium tourer has a seat I cant cope with...so I bought a Sargent https://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/r1200rt-2014-front-seat-only.html

It felt pricey [ £434 incl heating ] but the difference has been huge and there is no way would I switch back.

• Wider and flatter - as described -without the slight forward down-slope I slide forward less under braking
  • Much firmer foam - sounds wrong, but it really does work for me
  • The central 'channel' in the foam is a winner, removing pressure on my coccyx aka tailbone, that made me uncomfortable after only 90 miles
  • The width makes it lightly harder getting my foot down at stops, but after a few miles I became used to that
  • Seat heating works just like the original, with the Wonder Wheel
  • Small storage box built into the underside almost makes up for loss of the tool pockets under the oem seat
  • Good materials and finish
  • Fits closely (better fit than stock) against tank and pillion seat.

Ordering and delivery were spot on, and I recommend other GB riders use the importer 'Calamander' tel 01874 636666 trading as Sargent, and avoid the Customs charges lottery.
R1250RT Red-Slate
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Another vote for sargent (sp?) ride as far as your tank will take you, expensive but so worth it IMHO.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 220 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

And another +1 for Sargent seats!

We had them on the Pan (now there is a horrible seat, it felt like I was sitting on red hot chicken wire after about 70 miles) and it was one of my first choice of mods after we moved across to the RT, in fact my wife insisted on it.

Other than that we've changed for lowered rear pegs and thinking about getting lower front ones too.
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

I really don’t know if Bmw ever made a seat worth setting on. On my airhead I had a custom seat made for it best thing I ever did for it and me. I still love that seat. It has many many miles on it.  Wore one /7 out bought another airhead put 45,000 mile on that one. It was a RT changed the whole bikes tin , fairing , bags , just because of that seat.  I bought a 15 1200 RT love the bike hate the seat.  Call my old seat maker he doesn’t do the new Bmw seats.  Bummer.  So I went with a Russell day long.  There nice but I can still ride farther on my airhead. 
DeltaBravo
Bike Model and Year: BMW RT1200
United States of America

Post by DeltaBravo »

My 1999 K12LTC had the best seat ever.  BMW or otherwise.  Did the Butt Lite rally in July 1999 and did 5000 miles in 5 days, plus the ride from VA to MN.  The only real pain I had was removing my ear plugs after hours and hours of riding.  If I could duplicate that seat for my RTW I'd be HAPPY! :-*
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Bravo, DeltaBravo.  Thought I was stylin' with my ONE 1,000 mile day in 2000.  It was the last day of a 8k mile tour coast-to-coast-to-coast-to coast (including the southern coast), so my butt was used to it.  Did 10k a couple of years ago on the stock seat and didn't die.  Doesn't seem to bother me as much as others, but there's a butt for every seat, I guess.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

hammo wrote: Dunno if its only me but the seat on my 2019 RTLE is terrible (same as the one on my old 2018 model) i always keep sliding back and feel like someone is trying to pull my privates off !!!! have tried cooler cover and Gel Pad but to no joy , has anyone invested in a Sargent seat in the UK ? would welcome any comments the write up on them is very good , but honest comments from owners is better !!!
Hammo, I was also very disappointed with the stock seat, as was my regular, and vocal, passenger.  The low cost solution, if you can get past the less than ideal aesthetics, is an airhawk / Comfortair seat pad.  All day comfort, cheap (£80 ish), very easy to fit.  Can be used on multiple bikes, if you are lucky enough to own more than one bike.  Easily reverted to stock if/when you sell the bike.