How to fit engine bars???

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

How to fit engine bars???

Post by David and Sally »

Hi

I am trying to fit Wunderlich engine bars to my 2020 R1250RT.

https://www.nippynormans.com/sw-motech/engine-bars/wunderlich-engine-bars-r1250rt-chrome-finish

Part is 20381.

Having taken off the two grey trims that are aft of the heads I can see the lower mounting points that are the engine mountings, I can see the unused threaded hole on the front lower mounting BUT , how on earth do you get to the upper mounting point where the oem  fog lights are bolted to the frame?

There are torx headed bolts that appear to go into captive nuts on the brackets for the fog lights. But there is no room to get at the head of the bolts and the Wunderlich instructions show their bolts going through thar mounting plate. It looks like they intended the bars to mount on models without the Orem fog lights but the description on the NN page states that they work with the lights?

Someone has done this before I am sure so any advice really gratefully received.

Thanks
Boxflyer

Re: How to fit engine bars???

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
David and Sally
Great Britain

It does thanks. As I suspected quite a bit of Tupperware removal.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I fitted Illium bars, but they use the same mountings. Be aware with the Illium bars, once you refit the offside inner panel there were issues with the cowling going back around the radiator fan. I had to unclip the housing at the top and wiggle it around to get the inner panel to fit over the fan housing, then click it all back together. It also helped by undoing the screws which hold the panel along the tank that the aux socket is on as well. But having not fitted the Wunderlich bars, you may not have the same difficulties.
David and Sally
Great Britain

Thanks Boxflyer. Fitted👍👍😀🍺🍺