Smoke on Start up After Sitting for a While

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
speedy

Smoke on Start up After Sitting for a While

Post by speedy »

Not sure this is a "Problem", but after sitting for a few weeks, I started my 2018 RT and noticed more white smoke/steam/fumes than I would normally expect on a warm morning in the southeast. 

It did stop after a 2-3 minutes and the bike performed flawlessly for 265 miles that day and another 175 miles the next day with no smoke to speak of on the next morning start.

My bike is a 2018 with about 3k miles total, so this is probably normal, but it's the first I've noticed it in 7 months of ownership.  Neither of my other bikes has done anything like this, but the boxer motor is a bit more 'agricultural' than my XR or Yami so maybe it just comes with the territory.

Can anyone comment as to whether this is normal or if it's something I should have looked at or at least keep an eye on?

Thanks
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Re: Smoke on Start up After Sitting for a While

Post by burridge01 »

First thing you need to determine is what is actually coming out the exhaust. Is it steam or smoke,then go from there.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

burridge01 wrote: First thing you need to determine is what is actually coming out the exhaust. Is it steam or smoke,then go from there.

This

Steam is condensation in the exhaust burning off which is normal

Smoke is more likely oil burning off which is not normal

Does it have a blue hint to it?

Try and get a video of it if you can
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

There are threads on other forums that talk about smoke on start up if the bike has been parked on side stand. Oil getting into the combustion chamber on the lower cylinder. Could be complete rubbish. I always use centre stand so cannot confirm if this is true or just good old forum bollocks.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Levisp wrote: There are threads on other forums that talk about smoke on start up if the bike has been parked on side stand. Oil getting into the combustion chamber on the lower cylinder. Could be complete rubbish. I always use centre stand so cannot confirm if this is true or just good old forum bollocks.

This is spot on, if leaving for anytime use the centre stand to stop the oil draining into the cylinder, this prevents smoke, makes it easier to start and avoids contaminating the cat.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I've had this a few times on BMWs, as long as it is not every time and not getting worse:-) you are good to go, Peter
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thank you all for the comments.  I do park it on the side stand as its on a dolly to put it into a tight spot in our garage. 

It looks like white smoke (not steam) as it doesn't dissipate quickly if its not windy.  It doesn't have a blue tint to it and after a couple of minutes it's no longer coming out of the exhaust pipe.  And, if we're on a trip it doesn't do it after being left overnight (but I put it on the center stand when we are on the road).

I love these forums, so much GREAT info and people that care.

Thanks again.
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Park it on the side stand and leave it a month and it will smoke for about a minute. They all do it , mine did it half an hour ago due to not riding (knee is crocked ) Don't worry its not a big deal.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Ok, based on all the great replies, I ordered a Park-n-move dolly from AdaptivTech (https://adaptivtech.com/products/park-n-move-br-m-01-01).  Not cheap, but hopefully since I have to have it on a dolly in my garage, the centerstand-dolly approach will be better than my current harbor freight sidestand-dolly.  Thankfully in the ON this month, there was a 10% coupon for Adaptiv....

I appreciate all the input and in about a 4-6 weeks I'll report back after seeing if the ceneterstand dolly solves the oil settling issue that seems to be causing the smoke.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Ok, just to close the loop....

I've had the bike on its centerstand for 3+ weeks.  I started it last night and no smoke on start up.  So, not using the sidestand for long periods seems to have solved my problem.

Thanks to all that contributed to this solution to something that initially was rather concerning....