Tyre Pressures Again

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BobM

Tyre Pressures Again

Post by BobM »

Decided to go for the first ride in while yesterday. Checked tyre pressures, and using foot pump (which is usually pretty good) set them to 2.5/2.9 , off I went. I had the tyre pressure set into the dash and soon it was showing 2.2 and 2.6 and it showed that for 30 mins. So came home. Today I thought I`d try again, so checked TP with a digital gauge. Showed 2.4/2.85 so left it at that. Set off and again bike TP was showing low. So the question is, can the sensors be affected by the heat ie standing outside in the sun, or do I have a problem with the sensors.  Cheers. 
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Tyre Pressures Again

Post by Viking John »

I pump mine up and check the pressure when cold (as recommended) and usually the on board pressure shown is a bit less. Mine have never shown the same pressure as a decent tyre pressure gauge.
On a decent run in warm weather they usually go up a little on the dash.
The mechanic at my Dealer said that they are not very accurate, a decent Tyre Pressure Gauge is much more reliable.
BobM

Re: Tyre Pressures Again

Post by BobM »

I agree. Normally go on digi gauge. But I was surprised that the bikes reading was that far out. Not usually that bad. Thought the heat might have caused it. Cheers.