Wobbly feeling on my RT coming from a testride on a japanese bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GvG

Wobbly feeling on my RT coming from a testride on a japanese bike

Post by GvG »

Took a testride today on a Kawasaki Versys 1000S and a Yamaha Tracer 9 GT, and both times when I hopped on my R1250RT again, my bike felt a bit "wobbly" at low speeds in the beginning.

Maybe it's because of the weight of the RT (especially around the cockpit, with it's big electric screen and other stuff) or maybe it's due to the Telelever system instead of  "normal" steering, I don't know.

After a couple of kilometers I got used again to my RT.

Maybe other people also experienced this?

Cheers.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Wobbly feeling on my RT coming from a testride on a japanese bike

Post by Talisker »

When I set off on a 'new ride' the bike feels like it's 'falling' into very low speed corners.  This sensation disappears very quickly.  Very odd but very consistent sensation.  Not an issue, just a feature.  8)
gary45

Post by gary45 »

On my 2018 applying light pressure with one foot will start a turn in that direction, very sensitive to any input. I found the bike wobbly for the first couple of kilometers first time I rode it.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Yes, the first kilometers my RT felt it was a little bit drunk  ^-^ .......
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

First miles on an RT generally I hated it, nearly turned round and went straight back to the dealers. I got used to it and got to love it.

I think the weight distribution is a large part of the odd feeling as it is concentrated far lower (think where the cylinders/cams/heads etc are in relation to a "normal" bike, these are far, far heavier than the electronics and plastics), add in the weird front end and it is bound to feel a bit strange.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

Just changed from a K1600. Now that is a weird feeling😀
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have never been any good at slow speed riding, and that’s on any bike. It does seem to get worse for me as the tyres are nearing the end. Just this morning I was like a Swan landing on ice at just about every full stop I made. Luckily I only nearly dropped it twice !.
GvG

Post by GvG »

PeteM wrote: First miles on an RT generally I hated it, nearly turned round and went straight back to the dealers. I got used to it and got to love it.

Do you mean that those first miles felt "wobbly"?
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

GvG wrote:
Do you mean that those first miles felt "wobbly"?

A bit, it seemed to wander at low speed, the torque reaction to the throttle was unsettling and the feeling on turn in was different enough to make me have to think about the corners; all of which effects are still there even on my 1250 but I am used to them now so no problem.

The barn door screen and fairing was also off putting at first as they where so big coming from sports bikes
GvG

Post by GvG »

Wandering is maybe a better word for it, it's just not as stable at low speeds as a "normal" bike.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I only half agree, yes it seems to wander a little but ultimately I find the very low COG makes it easier to ride slowly. I think it is a bit like riding off road, if you expect it to track dead straight and are holding on to the bars to try and force it you are on a hiding to nothing, but if you relax and allow it follow it's own path you end up with a far easier and more controlled ride.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The difference in stability at low speeds between the Jap bikes and an RT may well be because of the engine orientation within the frame. On the two test ridden Jap bikes, the engine crankshaft is in the same plane as the two wheels. The engine, like the wheels acts as a gyroscope to help keep the bike stable and upright. On an RT, the gyroscopic effect of the engine is working against that of the wheels. This theory was brought to my attention after attending an i2i MCA course.

When stationary, if you blip the throttle on an RT, the bike will rock from side to side.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Which is called torque reaction which I mentioned above
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chain drive vs shaft drive may also influence stability.
GvG

Post by GvG »

David. wrote: The difference in stability at low speeds between the Jap bikes and an RT may well be because of the engine orientation within the frame. On the two test ridden Jap bikes, the engine crankshaft is in the same plane as the two wheels. The engine, like the wheels acts as a gyroscope to help keep the bike stable and upright. On an RT, the gyroscopic effect of the engine is working against that of the wheels. This theory was brought to my attention after attending an i2i MCA course.

When stationary, if you blip the throttle on an RT, the bike will rock from side to side.

Good point, however I find a R1250GS(A) not wobbly or wandering at all at low speeds. Same engine and Telelever. Probably a typical RT thingy then  8) ........