Wobbly feeling on my RT coming from a testride on a japanese bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gogs11uk

Re: Wobbly feeling on my RT coming from a testride on a japanese bike

Post by Gogs11uk »

I regularly use other bikes than my own '09 RT as I'm a Blood Biker. Mainly FJR1300's or a newer 2018 Rt, even a few times on a 700 Deauville and find a big difference to start with. They all appear more precise and when I go back onto my own bike I can really feel the difference initially but it only takes a couple of minutes to get back in the groove no matter what bike I've been on. I suppose a lot of the differences are steering and suspension setup and geometry but get used to it quickly. I was planning changing my RT for something newer but it's only got 28k on it and I've been getting out on it more this year than last and loving it. The change has been scrapped meantime.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The adventure style Jap bikes (inc. the GS) will have higher and wider bars than an RT. The input required into the bars to induce a turn will be greater on the RT, perhaps the rider is initially over compensating when switching back to the RT.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Like I said before, when I changed to my R1250RT again after those testrides, the RT's handlebar felt small and closer to you which felt quite odd at the beginning, so you definitely have a good point.