Loan bike charges

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Loan bike charges

Post by MikeS »

Are all BMW dealers now charging for a loan bike  during warranty work? Bikes booked in next week and been told that a charge applies if you want a loaner. I'm fairly certain that this didn't used to be the case, only had to stump up when in for a service.
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Loan bike charges

Post by Viking John »

I have yet to experience this, but I know VW wanted to charge my wife £20 for a "Courtesy Car" recently. They say due to Covid, sanitising the car twice (before and after use) and as their loan car is Electric for charging!!! Needless to say she declined their offer!! So it wouldn't surprise me if BMW dealers do the same.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've had bikes a few times over the last couple of months, had a K1600 for 3 weeks and getting a loaner tomorrow. My dealer has not charged anything, although the excess is £2000 on a loaner
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

MikeS wrote: Are all BMW dealers now charging for a loan bike  during warranty work? Bikes booked in next week and been told that a charge applies if you want a loaner. I'm fairly certain that this didn't used to be the case, only had to stump up when in for a service.

No. My dealer is still free.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For the most recent warranty work I had done, the bike was recovered from my home address to the local dealer and returned when complete, all FOC.
Last edited by David. on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

David. wrote: For the most recent warranty work I had done, the bike was recovered from my home address to the local dealer and returned when complete, all FOC.

The lengths they'll go to, to keep you away from the service desk David  :))
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:The lengths they'll go to, to keep you away from the service desk David.
It gets better John, now got my bike booked in at Vertu Motorrad Sunderland for a service. They are going to collect & delivery the bike next week FOC.

I've never had to pay any contribution towards a loan bike either.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

I can confirm that the BMW dealership in South Yorkshire certainly charges for a loaner.  This has been a recent departure and was introduced on reopening after lockdown in the early part of this year. Clearly, BMW need the additional income!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I was at Vertu Sunderland yesterday discussing arrangements for the forthcoming service on my RT. There is now a cost of 20GBP for a loan bike. I was told that this is something to do with insurance rather than in the dealer back pocket. The collection and delivery service is now not FOC and costs 25GBP. It's a 70 miles round trip to Sunderland and back. If the cost of fuel (x2) for my own and a loan bike is factored in, the collection and delivery service is the best option for me. It allows me to do some work myself with the panels off etc. and is not weather dependant.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Just over a year ago I had to pay 15 quid for the insurance on a test ride before I bought the bike!

If I bought it I got the money knocked off

They wouldn't allow pillions either due to insurance restrictions
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

When I recently visited Williams Manchester for a service on the GS before going to the Alps, one of the sales team asked me if I'd like to take any of their bikes out for a test ride? I asked if the girl on reception was fully fuelled and ready to go? Unfortunately She wasn't an option, so he offered me an 1800 cruiser like tank thing FOC. I rejected his offer and carried on drinking my 14th cup of hot chocolate. Errol Brown would have been proud of me that day.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

My local dealer (U.S.) falls over himself just to get me to agree to take one his loaner bikes, au gratis. No questions asked.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:11 am The collection and delivery service are now not FOC and costs £25. The collection and delivery service are the best option for me. It allows me to do some work myself with the panels off etc. and is not weather dependant.
Bike being collected on Monday for bespoke servicing.