2017 alarm location

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

2017 alarm location

Post by exportman »

Hi

My remote central locking and alarm disarm has stopped working.  Replaced the fob batteries and gone through the process of re linking them, but it is still not working. Thinking it could be the alarm battery(ies) its self but not got a clue where it is located?  Found the battery type in the manual (CR123A) but thats as far as I can get. Cant find a reference to it in my Haynes ether.  Thought I had seen a thread on here but a search only tells me people have replaced the batteries not where to find the thing or what it looks like.  Can someone point me in the right direction?
exportman
Great Britain

Re: 2017 alarm location

Post by exportman »

Found it.

Under the rack on the left side of the bike  Batteries fitted an now one remote working
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Can you be a bit more explicit please, my central locking has stopped as well and also replaced fob battery. Do you mean under the top box rack? (Not currently near bike so can't look )
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Yes it is under the topbox rack,  you have to remove it first, which means removing the grey plastic then the grab handles before removing the main rack  takes about 10 mins.  If you have a short Philips screwdriver you can manage without removing anything else.  The device is under the plastic trim on the left hand side of the bike 4 small philips head screw cover the battery box, and you will need 2 x CR123A batteries to replace the duff ones.

Attachments
IMG_20210830_103031.jpg
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sounds to me its the fob, probably the battery. Not all batteries are equal. I tried to change mine and it didn't work, so I bought one from the dealer and it worked first time. Any good quality battery should be ok. Not seeing the relationship with the alarm and central locking. Is the red indicator (key thing) going out when the fob is present?
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

exportman wrote: Hi

Yes it is under the topbox rack,  you have to remove it first, which means removing the grey plastic then the grab handles before removing the main rack  takes about 10 mins.  If you have a short Philips screwdriver you can manage without removing anything else.  The device is under the plastic trim on the left hand side of the bike 4 small philips head screw cover the battery box, and you will need 2 x CR123A batteries to replace the duff ones.
Thanks will have a look when back home.