Interference from USB charger

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rnelson955

Interference from USB charger

Post by rnelson955 »

Hey guys,

I've installed a USB charger to power a Quad Lock wireless charging head. (on a 2021 R1250RT) For power, I tapped into the Powerlet cabling under the right had side fairing cover. The charger and excess USB cable is curled up under here and cable tied to hold it secure.

Since installing it I notice significant interference with the Radio....FM radio has a lot of static and DAB cuts out regularly. I've also noticed the remote key is far more inclined to tell me it's out of range. So I'm assuming it's causing some RF interference; has anyone encountered this, and is there any way to fix it? Would some shielding work? (not sure what sort or where to get it, just thinking out loud)

Thanks in advance,
Rick

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Interference from USB charger

Post by exportman »

Hi

Not sure how you would shield it, but first I would check that really is the cause of the issue.

With it in situ go for a short ride and make a note of where you loose signal.  The disconnect it and ride it again  do you loose the signal in the same places.

If the answer is yes.  Then consider either repositioning the USB transformer, or try a different one ( different manufacturer)  in the same place. That may cure the problem
Falko144

Re: Interference from USB charger

Post by Falko144 »

rnelson955 wrote: The charger and excess USB cable is curled up under here and cable tied to hold it secure.

Rick, magnetic field exist every time a current passes thru a conductor, however, by curling the cables/wires, you have increased the magnetic field enough that it interferes with your OEM equipment.  in an essence, you created a magnetic coil. 
Shorten your cables and make them fit without any curling. 

There is a reason why curling of cables and wires is not allowed in any application, AC or DC. 
Attachments
images.png