2017 RT Headlight Low Beam Bulb Replacement.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Twodog

2017 RT Headlight Low Beam Bulb Replacement.

Post by Twodog »

So my low beam went out on the weekend past. Started the whole Google, YouTube DIY process. Said let me call the dealership to see what they say as I have big hands and little patience.

Called the dealership on Monday Oakville Motorad in Oakville, Canada. They said bring it in and let’s have a look, took it in Monday afternoon. Dealer said, buy the bulb from parts we’ll replace it for you.

Here’s the interesting part. I said should I buy two bulbs as it looks like the right side high beam is gone as well as it wasn’t ‘on’ only the left bulb was light and center and right were ‘out’, Center bulb is low and right and left are high beams.

Mechanic says no only buy the center low, what happens is when the center low goes out the left bulb transitions to a low beam and right bulb shuts down, both still transition to high beam when switch is flipped.

Common misconception is both bulbs are out and folks buy or replace both bulbs when only the low is required when he replaced the low which took about five minutes the dash indicating a light issue went away and low was available and both left and right shut down to only work with the high beam switch.

Not sure if this is common knowledge he called it a bit of an Easter [emoji214]

I was throughly impressed muttered to myself damn those Germans are smart.

Gave the shop foreman a twenty spot to buy the guys in the shop a couple of coffees.

Cheers,
Two.
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
realshelby

Re: 2017 RT Headlight Low Beam Bulb Replacement.

Post by realshelby »

Not all RT's transition to a high beam lamp when the (single) low beam lamp fails. Mine does not. 2014.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Twodog

Re: 2017 RT Headlight Low Beam Bulb Replacement.

Post by Twodog »

realshelby wrote: Not all RT's transition to a high beam lamp when the (single) low beam lamp fails. Mine does not. 2014.
Weird, huh.  It’s a great idea and makes sense to transition but I’ve also read that the 18 did not do it either, strange. Wonder why?
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23