Top case woes

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
ymfb

Top case woes

Post by ymfb »

During our recent big tour I was disappointed to find my BMW system 7 helmet doesn’t fit the OEM top case that came with my September 20 R1250RT LE.  It has built in comms with no after market camera etc. 

It means I carry my lid into every hotel when I planned to store it on the bike at night.  We use Helmetloks during the day but that’s not good if it rains. 

It’s not the end of the world, just seems an obvious omission.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Top case woes

Post by Our Gee »

What about leaving your helmet in the Pannier, that's what I do.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I'm using bags for my panniers, so newer took them off. And leave helmets inside. And I agree it is a bit pity to have huge topbox and can't fit helmets in it really
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Try without the top case carpet being in.
I have a system 7 with external Packtalk bold comms which fits in the top case and panniers.

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Think it may depend on the size of helmet. I have a Schuberth C3 medium that fits in the top box but only when placed on its side  That way I can fit 2 helmets in, but I would guess that it would not take a XL sized shell
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

ymfb wrote: During our recent big tour I was disappointed to find my BMW system 7 helmet doesn’t fit the OEM top case that came with my September 20 R1250RT LE.  It has built in comms with no after market camera etc. 

It means I carry my lid into every hotel when I planned to store it on the bike at night.  We use Helmetloks during the day but that’s not good if it rains. 

It’s not the end of the world, just seems an obvious omission.
My Sep 2019 System 7 Helmet (with OEM BMW comms unit installed) fits in my Mar 2020 R1250RT top box??

But just like with the earlier R1200RT top box, you have to remove the carpet mat or really fiddle about to get the helmet into the sweet spot where the top-box lid will shut.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Mine takes 2 helmets with Interphone sitting on their bases no problem. One is an XL Valiant HS2 and the other is a S Caberg. Both flip front helmets. No carpets fitted.