service costs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: service costs

Post by hammo »

No mention of the "independent dealer " being registered for VAT in the warranty terms ?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

hammo wrote:No mention of the "independent dealer" being registered for VAT in the warranty terms.
This is also true of the T&C's for a BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty. In 2014, I was told by BMW that the independent garage needed to be VAT registered. I've emailed BMW and asked the question whether or not this is still the case. Things may have changed over the last 7 years. If and when I get a reply, I'll report back.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: This is also true of the T&C's for a BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty. In 2014, I was told by BMW that the independent garage needed to be VAT registered.

I was also told this in June when I bought mine!

I don't think its a dealer request I am pretty sure when they changed the law a few years back to stop manufacturers tying you to them for servicing the conditions was genuine parts and a VAT registered garage
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:If and when I get a reply, I'll report back.
With respect to a BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, I've spoken to both the sales & claims teams. The outcome is as follows, the non-BMW independent garage must be VAT registered. Any parts used must be genuine BMW or of equivalent specification. As my bike will be serviced at a BMW dealer and I'll supply both Motul oil & Hiflo filter which meet the OEM spec., I'm good to go with that.

It was made clear to me that servicing done by a "Private owner" would not uphold the T&C's of the warranty. The definition being, an individual not engaged in the business of purchasing, selling or servicing of motor vehicles.

Please remember that the above applies to an Insured Warranty and not either a new (3 year) or used (2 year) bike warranty which are both provided by BMW, the retailer. Although, I'd be most surprised if the T&C's differ. Perhaps someone with a new or used bike warranty could clarify this, thank you.
sakm wrote:I was also told this in June when I bought mine.
Looks like this has already been confirmed for a used bike. Just need someone to pop up with the answer for a new bike.

This is a new bike warranty handbook, warranty.pdf.asset.1536068924116.pdf (bmw-motorrad.co.uk) (not sure if it's the most recent one published).
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: With respect to a BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, I've spoken to both the sales & claims teams. The outcome is as follows, the non-BMW independent garage must be VAT registered. Any parts used must be genuine BMW or of equivalent specification. As my bike will be serviced at a BMW dealer and I'll supply both Motul oil & Hiflo filter which meet the OEM spec., I'm good to go with that.

It was made clear to me that servicing done by a "Private owner" would not uphold the T&C's of the warranty. The definition being, an individual not engaged in the business of purchasing, selling or servicing of motor vehicles.

Please remember that the above applies to an Insured Warranty and not either a new (3 year) or used (2 year) bike warranty which are both provided by BMW, the retailer. Although, I'd be most surprised if the T&C's differ. Perhaps someone with a new or used bike warranty could clarify this, thank you.

Looks like this has already been confirmed for a used bike. Just need someone to pop up with the answer for a new bike.

This is a new bike warranty handbook, warranty.pdf.asset.1536068924116.pdf (bmw-motorrad.co.uk) (not sure if it's the most recent one published).

I have done a bit of digging on this and its all part of the block exemption regulations and the right to repair

Its that that dictates that it has to be a VAT registered garage and not the manufacturer, its part of the clause of being able to service your vehicle at independent garages

Block Exemption also helps independent garages access technical and repair information from the manufacturer

While this refers to cars the regulations cover all vehicles
https://garagewire.co.uk/garage-wire-vi ... are-of-it/

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Still screwed if you want to DIY. Just out of interest what do the terms of conditions say on PCP financed bikes. PCP is not my thing far too expensive in the long term but it is I expect the way the majority of new bikes are sold. So anyone on PCP what does the service conditions say. I'm curious.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks to sakm, we now know that to maintain the T&C's of a new, used or insured warranty, the independent garage needs to be VAT registered.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Levisp wrote: Still screwed if you want to DIY. Just out of interest what do the terms of conditions say on PCP financed bikes. PCP is not my thing far too expensive in the long term but it is I expect the way the majority of new bikes are sold. So anyone on PCP what does the service conditions say. I'm curious.

I had a car on PCP and the only conditions was to make sure its serviced as per the manufacturer so I suspect the block exemption regulations and the right to repair come in to affect still
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

sakm wrote:
I had a car on PCP and the only conditions was to make sure its serviced as per the manufacturer so I suspect the block exemption regulations and the right to repair come in to affect still

OK thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:Still screwed if you want to DIY.
I'm prepared to take a gamble/risk doing some DIY servicing. Getting the BMW dealer or VAT registered garage to do the minimum possible to get a stamp in the service book. This boils down to an oil & filter service every year or 6,000 miles, supplying my own oil & filter, therefore, labour only.

For the cost every two years, I also get the F&R brake fluid changed. If this hadn't been done, the warranty claim for replacement front brake calipers may have been kicked into touch.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

A very sensible approach. Its a shame we here in the UK don't have the same T&Cs as the USA where DIY servicing is OK. I don't have any warranty on my bike and so do all my own work from servicing to tyres. The one joy of having an older bike without warranty.

However I have just bought a new KTM 890 Adventure which comes with two years warranty. The service schedule for this is yearly or every 9300 miles ( 15000 kms ). So in a years time I will get my KTM dealer to service the bike. The following year when the warranty expires I will service it myself. Never had a KTM so want to keep the warranty and see how reliable the bike is over the next two years. Plan to split my 12000 miles / year between the two bikes so each will have one service a year.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Just to get this back on topic of service costs

I have just had mine serviced today by Marshall BMW in Grimsby

I was charged £139.12 of which is £69.27 in parts and £46.66 in labour plus VAT at £23.19

This was just an annual service which consisted of an oil and filter and a full check of the bike

The service took an hour

Personally I think that labour cost is fine parts on the other hand!!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sakm wrote:The service took an hour.
What AW does it have on the invoice.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: What AW does it have on the invoice.

I will make life easy for you

[attach=1]
Attachments
20210930_191022.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With an AW of 5.00 + 2.00 = 7.00, one hour labour = AW 12.00, therefore, the hourly rate is £46.66 / 7 x 12 = £79.99 + VAT = £95.99.

The Workshop at York, a VAT registered garage charges £48 + VAT = £57.60 per hour.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.