Engine Corrosion

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Engine Corrosion

Post by Viking John »

My 2019 1250RT has a few areas of corrosion on the engine cases, these are where paint blisters appeared underneath the paint and lacquer (I assume as a result of poor metal preparation.) There are also some small areas on the bevel drive housing.
I put in a Warranty Claim expecting these areas to be re-painted/lacquered, I am now told I will be getting a new engine fitted and a new bevel drive housing.

Apparently I will need to inform DVLA of the new Engine Number on the log book together with "written evidence from the manufacture" I hope DVLA are back working by the time I need to do that. :alas:

Has anyone on here had experience of this process and how did it go?

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Engine Corrosion

Post by David. »

Found this thread of someone having had an engine changed, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum
Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

We have had two 1250 blood bikes had corrosion sorted. But never had a new engine, they had new cases and rebuilt the engine. We have now got another warranty claim on a 1250 that is 11 months old, corrosion becoming noticeable, so we will see how that pans out. My own bike is a 2019 and fingers crossed, nothing showing yet. I was also lucky with my 2014, I put over 30k on that bike and there wasn't a spot of corrosion. Really luck of the draw :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the engine cases are replaced rather than the whole engine and one of those parts carries the engine number, then is the new case stamped with the original engine number.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: If the engine cases are replaced rather than the whole engine and one of those parts carries the engine number, then is the new case stamped with the original engine number.

Well if it is, we were never informed to tell DVLA the engine number had changed, so we haven't :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the original engine number is retained, (stamped on the new case),  then the DVLA wouldn't need to know.

When a complete new engine or bottom end is fitted, presumably, this comes from the BMW factory stamped with a new number.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: If the original engine number is retained, (stamped on the new case), then the DVLA wouldn't need to know.

When a complete new engine or bottom end is fitted, presumably, this comes from the BMW factory stamped with a new number.

Don't know and not that bothered :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Viking John wrote:Apparently I will need to inform DVLA of the new Engine Number on the log book together with "written evidence from the manufacture".
From what I have read elsewhere and on the GOV.UK website, "written evidence from the manufacturer", should be sufficient.

The new engine number needs to be entered in Section 7. of the V5C, "Changes to current vehicle".
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

My 64 plate had engine replaced under warranty and no one mentioned new engine number or to notify DVLA. Now you have me wondering! Think I should investigate this further.
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

BMW replaced the engine in my very early production ‘98 K1200RS. Nothing was noted to the U.S. authorities.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic