Kick stand switch

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
paulgelineau

Kick stand switch

Post by paulgelineau »

Had an issue with the bike not wanting to start.  Thought it was the kick stand switch and so replaced it.  Bike starts now in all modes: neutral, stand up or down; in gear, stand up, clutch lever in.  However, I recall being able to start it with the stand down, in gear but clutch lever in. 
Same issue with my wife's F800GT.
Have read several threads recommending the disabling of the switch by "jumpering" the wires for the switch.  However, I want to keep both bikes completely stock.
So question: is there a micro switch in the clutch lever assembly that may be causing this?  Or, was I imagining being able to start it with the stand down, in gear and clutch lever in?
Cheers,
Paul G.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Kick stand switch

Post by David. »

paulgelineau wrote:Was I imagining being able to start it with the stand down, in gear and clutch lever in.
"You cannot start the motorcycle with the side stand extended and a gear engaged", irrespective of the clutch lever being pulled in.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Yes, there is a micro switch in the clutch lever assembly that may have failed. As mine has at the moment, bike must be in neutral before it will start.
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

David. wrote: "You cannot start the motorcycle with the side stand extended and a gear engaged", irrespective of the clutch lever being pulled in.

Yes what a pain if you stall it at the lights