Should this be a warning?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Backofbeyond
Been liked: 2 times

Should this be a warning?

Post by Backofbeyond »

Hi folks I have been looking at a bike that I like. Its a 2007 1200RT with 46000 on the clock. Looking at its last Mot it has an advisory that the brake warning light was on during test but no fault found. Could this be the start of the ABS problem? Is it this model that gets the abs faults? Many thanks Paul

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Should this be a warning?

Post by David. »

Backofbeyond wrote:Looking at its last MoT it has an advisory that the brake warning light was on during test but no fault found.
It is possible that the MoT tester is not familiar with testing the brakes on an RT. When the ignition is switched on, the ABS performs self-diagnosis, the warning light flashes. The motorcycle needs to be on the move (speed at least 5 km/h),  for the test to be complete. The ABS warning light goes out. The bike would have to be ridden a short distance to prove if this is the case which is not done during the MoT test. Not 100% sure but I think you need to apply the brakes too.

The early Hexheads had servo brakes, they are the ones to avoid.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I can verify what David has said. Four years ago I took my previous Twincam to what I would term a non "Motorcycle Dedicated" M.O.T. station. Everything seemed to be going ok until the brake test. "You have brake failure mate". I explained the operation of the dash warning light as David describes and that was accepted.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Took my RT this week to the said M.O.T. station, the tester must have learnt how to test RT's, passed ok.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

David. wrote: Not 100% sure but I think you need to apply the brakes too.

No you don't it is just distance related.

Scared me silly first time I rode an RT, it was a test ride, dealer rode the bike from the workshop to the front of the shop and left the engine running. Later on I stopped for a coffee and got the normal warnings on start up.