General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Healthy Twin Cam Values.

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Was thinking of the replacement cost for insurance valuation purposes.
My insurance renewal turned up today. I'm currently with Carole Nash and decided to ring IAM RoadSmart Cornmarket Insurance for a quote. With the car, they gave me a market value which apparently comes from Glasses Guide. Next to the RT, last year the insured value was £7,000. Having looked at Autotrader for similar bikes, I was going to reduce this to £6,000. I asked the broker what market value they would place on the bike and they said £6,295. Based on this, think I'll keep the insurance value at £7,000. I've never previously had an insurance broker give me a market value, have always had to come up with one myself.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 901 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Healthy Twin Cam Values.

Post by Doctor T »

Unlike some, i always overlook mileage when buying a bike. Condition and a full dealer service history are more important. As for mileage on an engine, very low mileage 10 year old bike could mean problems. An engine is like any piece of a machine it needs to be run, to get the oil hot and into the places it should be. Seals need lubing and warming up to do their job. The list goes on also with my experience with the air cooled boxer engine i know i can get over 150000 miles from a well serviced engine.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.