Additional service items/intervals

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Additional service items/intervals

Post by David. »

Do you perform any additional service items or reduce service intervals above and beyond those which can be found in the BMW service schedules or maintenance procedures.

If so, on which model RT, what, when and why.

I'll kick of with, a 2007 Hexhead. From new I decided to change the oil & filter every 3,000 miles. Why, because I thought 6,000 miles intervals were excessive, didn't know how long I was going to keep the bike and at the time, 25W-50 mineral oil was used at £5 per litre.

On both 2010 & 2012 Camheads, the air filter gets changed every year or around 6,000 miles, not at the 12,000 miles service intervals. Why, because it's usually pretty grubby after 6K miles and at around £10 each for Hi-flo they are less than half the price of BMW ones.

With the Camhead oil originally being 10W-50 fully synthetic and quiet expensive, haven't reduced the service intervals. Although, with the oil spec. now being 15W-50 semi-synthetic which can be had for less than £30 for 4 litres, I'm tempted. (Hi-flo oil filters can be had for around £5).
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Additional service items/intervals

Post by Steve398 »

I’m not quite as structured as you David, if I haven’t used the bike in a few months over winter then I’ll change the oils and filter just to get rid of any condensation before I go out to play in the spring, or even just because the oil looks dirty in the sight glass.

The air filter got changed early just because a Baglux tank cover was being fitted and it was a case of “While the plastic’s off…”

Otherwise the bike will always get a service before our annual month Europe tour in June just  because it’s in for some hard work.

Random I know but…
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have mentioned this a number of times before but here goes. A strip, clean and grease of the Gear Change Linkage ball joints and Shaft Support Bushes every year or so really does seem to improve the change action. Well it does to me anyway so give it a go, you just might be surprised.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have only had my bike since June so this is my intended service plan which is usually what I do for every bike I own

2016 R1200RT LE 

The bike normally comes off the road in October/November until March/April

During this time I will spend it stripping back the fairings and give everything a good clean

I then set about greasing all pivot points and I will also check the timing and the valve clearances as well as have the oil and filter changed every year or 6k whichever comes first

I will also replace the Airfilter once a year too I haven't done it this year as it was done 4k ago and it still looks new although I wish I had seen as though I was in there

I will also be looking at pulling the shaft and greasing the splines and also changing the oil in the final drive etc

While I am doing all this everything will get a good check over and if anything needs doing/replacing it will get done

I normally do brake and clutch fluid every year too which I want to check out this "special" clutch fluid it uses and see what it actually is

All this will be done every year there is probably loads I have missed off this list
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Plugs every two years

Told you I had forgot something  :D
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With this Smith and Allan oil being £25, Fully Synthetic 15W-50 Motorcycle Engine Oil Ultra 4T 4-Stroke 5 Litre 5L : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive and a Hiflo oil filter for £5.50, HIFLO MOTORCYCLE OIL FILTER HF164 (bikespeeduk.com) might just do an interim oil & filter change.

My RT is used April to October (7 months),  could do this task in mid-July after 3.5 months or 3,000 miles whichever occurs first.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: With this Smith and Allan oil being £25, Fully Synthetic 15W-50 Motorcycle Engine Oil Ultra 4T 4-Stroke 5 Litre 5L : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive and a Hiflo oil filter for £5.50, HIFLO MOTORCYCLE OIL FILTER HF164 (bikespeeduk.com) might just do an interim oil & filter change.

My RT is used April to October (7 months), could do this task in mid-July after 3.5 months or 3,000 miles whichever occurs first.

Greta won't be pleased.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)