2021 R1250RT Phone Cubby Problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Temecula1250

2021 R1250RT Phone Cubby Problem

Post by Temecula1250 »

When I bought my new RT in April I had an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. The length of that phone was 6.22 inches. It fit into the phone cubby without problem. About one month ago I switched phone carriers and bought a new iPhone 13 pro max. That phone is 6.7 inches in length. After about a month I went on my first ride only to discover that the iPhone 13 will not fit into the cubby due to its length. I’m posting this just as a warning to others. At this point for me there is nothing to be done except to purchase another phone to serve as my RT navigation phone. A real pain in the ass but perhaps I shot myself in the foot. I haven’t checked BMWs model specs or sales literature but I’m pretty sure it nowhere states the size of phone that the cubby can accommodate. I could be wrong. Anyway this is another disappointment for a so-called premier marque. My bike came without radio or Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Radio was no problem but TPMS? That was a big disappointment to say the least. If BMW monitors here I would certainly appreciate a reply as the navigation system depends on the use and integration of a smart phone.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: 2021 R1250RT Phone Cubby Problem

Post by beemerboy9 »

I was under the impression that the phone did not have to carried in the cubby, but could also be carried in a jacket pocket.
John Bentall
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Don't want to be controversial here but I don't think you can blame BMW for that one. Think its your mistake. After all if you had the iPhone 11 Pro Max you should have known how much room was left for anything bigger. However does the phone have to be in the cubby hole ? Can you put in in a small tank bag and run power to that. I'm sure there is a solution apart from buying another phone.

As for TMPS I'm pretty sure that can be retrofitted by your dealer. Ask them.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The cubby hole is a set size, phone manufacturers are probably not consulting BMW to make sure their models fit. Buy a phone that fits, or carry the phone in your pocket, that is what we do as our RT is the base model and came without the charging cubby hole on the right. Everything works fine.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:As for TMPS I'm pretty sure that can be retrofitted by your dealer.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: The cubby hole is a set size, phone manufacturers are probably not consulting BMW to make sure their models fit. Buy a phone that fits, or carry the phone in your pocket, that is what we do as our RT is the base model and came without the charging cubby hole on the right. Everything works fine.

So Casbar the phone connects to bike via BT not hard wired. The cubby hole is just for storage and charging. In which case its not a big deal that the phone doesn't fit the cubby hole. As David has pointed out the TMPS can be retrofitted. So all good. :)
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

You can carry your phone in your pocket but it needs power, a better solution is a Wunderlich handle bar bag.  If your phone is too big for the window put it in the bag.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Temecula1250 wrote:At this point for me there is nothing to be done except to purchase another phone to serve as my RT navigation phone.
Could buy a Sat.Nav./GPS, powered from the bike.
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Also retro fit TPMS  is not a cheap option. We have just been quoted £225 to replace one sensor in the rear - and that is a discounted rate. The sensor on its own is circa £100, then wheel removal, tyre off/on setup :)

Phone wise, def a good idea to have some kind of power to the phone, the phone connects with bluetooth and wi fi to the TFT. I used my fully charged iPhone 12 to connect and nav for 1.5 hours and it took over 75% of my battery life in that short time. So next time, I'll plug my phone into a battery pack :)
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the TPMS parts list with prices, Select part (bmwsupply.co.uk)

If the TPMS sensor battery if duff, they can be replaced, https://youtu.be/Mpjz0cDjnK4
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: Could buy a Sat.Nav./GPS, powered from the bike.

Why do that after getting the new TFT, the setup works great (if your phone fits in cubby) 
Just a power pack in your pocket with the phone or the handle bar/tank bag will work perfect.

Buying a cradle and sat/nav is a step back and costly IMHO.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Some owners have continued to use a sat. nav., they may still own one, prefer it and not have a fancy phone.

Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: This is the TPMS parts list with prices, Select part (bmwsupply.co.uk)

If the TPMS sensor battery is duff, they can be replaced, https://youtu.be/Mpjz0cDjnK4

Having investigated the options for replacement I found:

The TPMS sensor shown in the parts link above has now been superseded with a replacement part, which does the same job, but looks different. Some have managed to replace the battery, but it is not a simple job, you have to dig all the black glue out of the sensor to get to it, you then have to very carefully try and take the old battery out and replace, many fail at this point as the contacts inside break. The reseal with some kind of sealant. People have had varying success rates. The other option is buy a replacement from China at around £25, but Mr BMW has used different sensors in different bikes. If you manage to get the correct one, you still need to remove wheel, remove tyre, replace, then wake the sensor up (tool required) I bought a tool - doesn't work because different sensors operate on different frequencies. Then if you manage to get the correct sensor id, you need to input it into the ECU, this will require a GS911 or equivalent or using the BMW computer.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I'm surprised that after 1.5 hours of navigation the iPhone 12 loses 75% power. I can understand this if you are using the iPhone to navigate with screen on full brightness but connected to the bike surely the screen is off. When I use my iPhone 12 with Beeline Moto or BT to my KTM using KTM MyRide the phone is in my pocket with screen off and the power drain is minimal. Normally using my iPhone with a navigation app such as Scenic or Calimoto using the screen the power drain is high and differently needs to be plugged into bike.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

They will probably sort out the software on the TFT and connected app, but as it stands, you have to switch off screen lock and have it always on or it loses connection. You also need to run the app to always on, or again it goes to sleep and loses the connection. It doesn't lose blue tooth but wi fi, which is the bit that provides the mapping. Although I am not an expert as its not my own bike. In the end I didn't bother with it and used Waze from my phone in my pocket to my helmet. I even used my Nav VI in my pocket on one trip. If it was my own bike I would work through the options. If you have a power backup, its not an issue.