2021 R1250RT Phone Cubby Problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: 2021 R1250RT Phone Cubby Problem

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:The TPMS sensor shown in the parts link above has now been superseded with a replacement part, which does the same job, but looks different.
The parts link shows two #4 RDC sensors, looks like the second one #36319832032 is now correct. Perhaps the associated BMW parts diagram needs updating too.

Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: They will probably sort out the software on the TFT and connected app, but as it stands, you have to switch off screen lock and have it always on or it loses connection. You also need to run the app to always on, or again it goes to sleep and loses the connection. It doesn't lose blue tooth but wi fi, which is the bit that provides the mapping. Although I am not an expert as its not my own bike. In the end I didn't bother with it and used Waze from my phone in my pocket to my helmet. I even used my Nav VI in my pocket on one trip. If it was my own bike I would work through the options. If you have a power backup, its not an issue.

That is not very clever. Maybe the OP has a point. If the phone needs to be ON and plugged in then the cubby hole should accommodate all sizes of phones. Think I will stick to my Beeline Moto, the simplest form of navigation that has not failed on me yet. Easy to plan, use and just works. But of cause there is no fancy screen with maps, data and voice commands. Not for everyone.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: Some owners have continued to use a sat. nav., they may still own one, prefer it and not have a fancy phone.

I understand where your coming from but I can't understand why someone would spend so much money on a bike knowing it's connectivity is via an app, then want to slap an old satnav on the bars.... when a new 'fancy' phone to work in conjunction with the bike is less to purchase than a used satnav (plus cradle) then have additional wires running to the thing.

Your first picture shows the owner has a fancy phone connected, using the app and also has map mode ready in the back group (looking at the symbols) so will probably be using a power pack in his pocket as no cubby hole on the bike.

The second picture shows the phone is connected for calls ect but not running the app, this person may be comfortable using the satnav, he/she may not be able to learn new things for health reasons (label below keyless button) if anything like my brother. He took ill some years ago and has labels all over the place to remind him what things are for.....
Either way I wouldn't purchase a fancy adding up machine (calculator) but carry on using an abacus, I'd save my money and my the Mrs a new washboard and hand wringer  :) [size=78%]  [/size]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Only those who have added the sat. nav, (both forum members) can answer the question. "Why have a sat. nav. and TFT" on an RT.

I understand that on a GS, the TFT screen is only partially useful for navigation. No maps, just turn by turn instructions, therefore, owners have to have a sat. nav. too.
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

GS owners with TFT screen and Nav Prep can now buy a BMW connectivity cradle that connects to the sat nav mount which holds a phone. The BMW navigation app on phone is then paired to the connectivity module which then allows users to use the app for navigation. I believe the module also has a power outlet to power the phone. This then gives owners a map with navigation rather than just turn by turn symbols. Neat.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/wear/ ... radle.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:GS owners with TFT screen and Nav Prep can now buy a BMW connectivity cradle that connects to the sat nav mount which holds a phone.
I wonder if those already with a sat. nav. will be ditching them in favour of new technology for how many £'s?

I know someone who has just bought a GS and paid £465 for a sat. nav., he won't be throwing it away in a hurry.

Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The connectivity cradle is really for those who have a smart phone but do not have a Garmin or TomTom. For them it's a smart solution. I see no advantage in ditching your expensive Garmin if you already own one.

I wonder if BMW will ever make their app available to anyone as a standalone navigation app. There must be some money in that for them.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote:
Having investigated the options for replacement I found:

Some have managed to replace the battery, but it is not a simple job, you have to dig all the black glue out of the sensor to get to it, you then have to very carefully try and take the old battery out and replace, many fail at this point as the contacts inside break. The reseal with some kind of sealant. People have had varying success rates.

HI Casbar, I replaced the battery in my rear TPM this year whilst fitting new tyres, It is very easy if you follow the video and take your time. Certainly saves a few quid too.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: I wonder if those already with a sat. nav. will be ditching them in favour of new technology for how many £'s?

I know someone who has just bought a GS and paid £465 for a sat. nav., he won't be throwing it away in a hurry.

I might get one and just use my nav 6 on the RT. They're running out fast at dealerships and I'm in no rush, but for around the £180 mark it could be something I'd like to try. I 'think' the Motorrad connect app uses TomTom mapping software which I quite like also.

Anyway, enough of this Damn forum. I'm going getting a few pales of water from the well 🙂
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
HI Casbar, I replaced the battery in my rear TPM this year whilst fitting new tyres, It is very easy if you follow the video and take your time. Certainly saves a few quid too.

Its a blood bike so we can't do a lot of self help. I have a few avenues on the go, so won't be paying £225 to Mr BMW. But needs to be an approved repair :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Looks like the second one #36319832032 is now correct.

This looks like it could well be the Schrader 3141M TPMS, Schrader TPMS: Search for:3141m OE Sensor Pn: 9832032

Schrader Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Without Valve For BMW R 1200 | eBay
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coop

Post by Coop »

My first question is why would BMW try to reinvent an app that already exists and works exceptionally well. It’s called Apple CarPlay!  It has far more options and doesn’t have all the connectivity problems. My next question is did onboard GPS go?  And, why do I need to go through my smartphone anyway?  Like was mentioned above, the app sucks the power out of the phone (new) at an alarming rate. If I can get 4-5 hours ride time I’ll be surprised. Next question, why do I need to cobble some sort of solution for BMW’s shortcomings?  Large phones have been around for years. Did BMW think they were going away?  My iPhone doesn’t come close to fitting in the charging pocket. If I go for a full day ride my phone will be dead halfway through. Don’t even get me started on the mapping of the app. I rate it a 2 on a scale of 10. I need to wear my readers to read the streets even when I zoom in. It is also out of date.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I agree, I do not like the mapping on the app. Like I said we do not have the charging pocket so I have reverted to either using waze on my phone and listening to directions, or I carry my sat nav in my pocket. I don't own the bike so not bothered, but it would stop me buying a new bike with the TFT. Like the display, but nav is terrible.
dpickens

Post by dpickens »

Coop wrote: My first question is why would BMW try to reinvent an app that already exists and works exceptionally well. It’s called Apple CarPlay!  It has far more options and doesn’t have all the connectivity problems. My next question is did onboard GPS go?

I agree - Apple CarPlay / Android Auto would have been the smart choice. Even if it wasn't wireless it would have been better.

As far as GPS, my understanding is that there is no user-accessible / user-functional onboard GPS anymore.
mike2411

Post by mike2411 »

New here and to the RT but thought I would throw in my 2-cents. I have the S22 Ultra which is obviously too large for the tiny phone pocket on the bike. I purchased a USB cord with a 90-degree connector. I keep the cord plugged into the bike. When I ride I open the compartment, plug in the phone, and then push the phone (with its silicone case) into the compartment until I feel it "bite" against the sides. It sticks out and the compartment is open while I ride but it's not an issue. The phone holds well and the bars do clear the phone and the cable.

But, with that said, I did learn how to do this the hard way. I originally tried this with a standard charging cord (not 90-degree) and the brake lever grabbed the cable, shoving my phone up against the top of the compartment and breaking my screen  >:(  Got my phone fixed, added the 90-degree cable, and all is good! I have ridden with my phone in that pocket, cover open, before and now with handlebar risers and it does work, just make sure you use a 90-degree cable and one that lies flat and it works great!