New guy looking at getting first sport touring bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
italia
Bike Model and Year: '22 R1250 GSA
United States of America

New guy looking at getting first sport touring bike

Post by italia »

Hey all. Been riding sport and naked bikes doing track days and short rides for about 20 years. Looking at getting a bike I can do some longer distance on. Had a 450cc enduro and got the dirt out of my system so really just looking for street bike rather than dual/adventure bike.
Considering new R1250RT, Triumph 1200 GT Pro, and Guzzi V100 Mandello as shaft drive is on my list of desirable features. Might consider Ducati Multistrada V4S if I go with a chain drive.
Most of my bikes have been Italian (have 3 Italians and 1 British now) but am prioritizing reliability a little higher in a sport tourer. I have decent dealers for all four of these brands within 35 miles. Though I realize the new Triumph and Guzzi are not at dealers yet, any comments on these four bikes or others I might consider would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kevin
'22 BMW R1250 GSA 🇩🇪 '16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 '14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS 🇮🇹 '16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 🇮🇹 '19 SWM SM500R Supermoto 🇮🇹
Levisp

Re: New guy looking at getting first sport touring bike

Post by Levisp »

All good bikes. I think I would consider two additional things. How much power do you want and range. I test rode the Multistrada V4 last summer. Amazing bike but for me too much power and poor fuel consumption / range. If touring long distances are a requirement then I think range is important. Also I wouldn't rule out adventure / road bikes. They make very capable tourers. So I would add GS 1250 and adventurer models to your list. If you are looking for sportier then Multistrada V4 or 950s or KTM 1290 adventure. All depends on how sporty the ride you want. What ever you choose they are all great bikes.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

One other thing to consider is how important is weather protection. I owned a GS before my RT. The GS gave less weather protection than my RT. Riding the GS in wet dirty conditions resulted in my lower legs and boots getting covered in dirt, something that does not happen with my RT.
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

Thanks @Levisp.  Yeah after looking at the Multistrada V4 fuel economy it looks like range would be poor for sport touring which is a factor for me.
The weather protection on the RT is an attractive quality for me.  The adventure style bikes all lack a bit in that area comparatively.  And the big touring bikes that have that level of protection are just too long and heavy for my taste.
In fact the 58.5” wheelbase of the RT combined with 120 Front and 180 Rear tires in 17” wheels is exactly what I’ve been most comfortable with.  Bikes with 61+” wheelbases have ridden less enjoyable to me than those with shorter wheelbases, though others may disagree. 
The 18-21” front rims on most adventure bikes seem to serve a purpose on rough roads and off road but I’ve always been a 17” wheel sportbike rider.
The only concern I have about the BMW is the Telelever front end.  I’ve tried to read a lot about it and it seems most people agree that there is a little less road feel and feedback from it compared to traditional forks.  So would love to hear more comparisons that owners of both sport bikes and BMW’s with Telelever could offer.  Thanks again!
Kevin
'22 BMW R1250 GSA 🇩🇪 '16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 '14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS 🇮🇹 '16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 🇮🇹 '19 SWM SM500R Supermoto 🇮🇹
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 393 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

italia wrote: The only concern I have about the BMW is the Telelever front end.  I’ve tried to read a lot about it and it seems most people agree that there is a little less road feel and feedback from it compared to traditional forks.  So would love to hear more comparisons that owners of both sport bikes and BMW’s with Telelever could offer.  Thanks again!

There is nothing wrong with the telelever its a fantastic bit of engineering I see no difference in feedback from the road

Its a strange feeling at first especially when you anchor on and the bike just stays planted with no front end dive but you soon get used to it and wish every bike was like it

My only advice is to take test rides for as long as possible on each bike

I had an FJR before the RT and while the FJR was fast and fun and more sporty the RT is just in a different league
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree with sakm. In the past I have owner Both FJR1300 and Pan ST1300. The RT in comparison is much better handling bike and lighter. Only a good long test ride will answer your question as to how you like the RT. From my experience most people find the motor more of a challenge than the front end suspension. I have owned various sports bikes before age made me sensible. Yes the front end my feel a little vague but you get used to it and it doesn't effect the handling. It is a very good bike for covering large distances in comfort.
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

Thanks guys.  I read that Telelever is adept at keeping the front tire contact patch more consistent than conventional forks, which makes sense as to why it feels so planted.  @Levisp, when you say that most people find the motor more of a challenge, could you elaborate? 
Truthfully I hope age never makes me sensible, though now that I'm in my 60's and sold my track bike a year ago, I have to wonder.
Kevin
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

italia wrote: Thanks guys.  I read that Telelever is adept at keeping the front tire contact patch more consistent than conventional forks, which makes sense as to why it feels so planted.  @Levisp, when you say that most people find the motor more of a challenge, could you elaborate? 
Truthfully I hope age never makes me sensible, though now that I'm in my 60's and sold my track bike a year ago, I have to wonder.

Sold track bike haha sounds like you are one your way. Most riders are used to either parallel twins or 4 cylinder engines. These are generally smooth. The boxer engine being a big twin has a very different feel. At tick over there is a mild thump to it, but as the revs rise it smooths out. I think it is an engine where you ride the torque more than revs. It's a punchy engine. I like it but you need time to adjust to it. The gearbox is also a little clunky going from neutral into first. I have quick shift on mine and that works well from second upwards. Never use it between first and second. Mine is a 1200 have not ridden the 1250 which I am sure is better again. Just don't expect Honda sewing machine smooth.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 393 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

As Levisp says the engine poses more of an issue

I find slow speed manoeuvrability to be more thought provoking on the RT than on the FJR

The slower speed requires a bit of clutch control to keep things nice but its all a matter of getting used to it

I often find myself in too a high gear too which I think is due to the less power than what I am used to
DLS
United States of America

Post by DLS »

I've had a Ducati Multistrada, Kawasaki C14, Triumph Trophy and now a 2021 1250RT. Like he said, it's a little clunky going from N to 1'st, but real good after that. By far the most enjoyable bike I've had, the shift cam is incredible. Ride it for a while, you will make the decision pretty easily.
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

Thanks for the comments about the boxer engine.  One of the things I really enjoy about different motorcycles is the unique character of each engine.  I currently have a 500cc 1-cylinder, a 961cc parallel twin, a 800cc triple, and a 1100cc V4.  I've had a couple of Ducati L-Twins in the past, and an inline-4 MV Agusta.  And I've loved all those engines! 

But, I've never had a boxer engine in a motorcycle, never had a shaft drive (ridden Guzzis with pull to the right),and never had a bike that was over 500 lbs.  If Norton were honest about weight, the new Commando is likely is pushing 480 lbs wet though.

Some of the gearboxes I've had have been better than others.  One of my Ducs was a bit clunky going from 1 to 2.  And trying to get the '16 Norton Commando into neutral is like 1-2-1-1-2-1-N.
Kevin
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

“Sport-touring” is a rather broad category. The most suitable bike for you depends on how you define it. I’m of the belief that there are no bad bikes out there, but some are more suited to specific roles than others.

I think my RT is a fabulous but I have been seduced by the upcoming V100 Mandellio. I can’t imagine it would be more capable for sport-touring than my RT as I define it, but it could replace my R1200R as a fun weekend roadster. The only downside to the Moto Guzzi is the weak dealer network.

I’m a huge fan of Telelever, especially the stability and composure it provides in bumpy corners.
Last edited by emlevy on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

GS! don't bother wasting your time with anything else. Thank me later  8)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
italia
United States of America

Post by italia »

simbo wrote: GS! don't bother wasting your time with anything else. Thank me later  8)
HA!  So should I be afraid to ask?  Why is the GS better than a RT for street-only sport touring?
Last edited by italia on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

italia wrote: HA!  So should I be afraid to ask?  Why is the GS better than a RT for street-only sport touring?

It Isn't !! I've had 1 GS and 4 RT's. That's your answer.