Where / how to buy a motorbike in Spain (Malaga area)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Where / how to buy a motorbike in Spain (Malaga area)

Post by MattyP »

Hi all.  I have a holiday house in Spain am thinking of buying a cheapish motorbike for when I'm out there - (about 5 times a year).  The cost of hiring a car has become excessive.  However, I don't know where to look for a good selection of cheapish used bikes (not too worried about the make).  I am also interested in putting it in to storage somewhere close to Malaga airport for an easy pick up so wonder if anybody knows of secure places and an indication of the costs involved.  Equally, if there is anything else I should consider then please let me know - I'm here to learn! Obviously I have a full bike licence and have been riding an RT for a number of years.

All thoughts are welcome.

Muchas gracias!  Matt
GuyRT
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Where / how to buy a motorbike in Spain (Malaga area)

Post by GuyRT »

I have rented from these guys before, they are very friendly and work out of the Malaga area.
Perhaps drop them an email and ask for advice?

[size=2px]https://bmwbikerentals.com/[/size]
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Just looked on Malaga Marketplace (Facebook)and there's loads of bikes for sale.Then there's Ebay  etc.
MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi GuyRT and burridge01

Thanks for the helpful replies - I'll check them out.  ;D

Matt
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've been told you have to be a full time resident to register a vehicle to a private person. Must have proof of residency. This is needed for insurance as well. I was told this years ago so worth a check to see if it's changed since
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi Doctor T.  As we own a property in Spain and have a Spanish NIE number (foreigner's ID number in Spain) there is no problem with me buying and registering a bike.  I'm just looking for a good bike shop with a large stock of used bikes to choose from.  Thanks for the reply though - appreciated.
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

If you are relying on your Spanish residence and NIE, and are buying a Spanish bike with Spanish insurance, won't you also have to have a Spanish license?

That's one of my concerns re taking up residence in Europe which we are thinking about - don't fancy starting the motorcycle license process all over again after 50 years riding!
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Jack_the_Lad is completely right. Any UK national who wants to ride a bike in Spain with Spanish plates, has to have a Spanish driver's licence or risk a hefty fine from the Guardia Civil traffic police.

It's just one of the many perks we Brits get with Brexit.  :alas:
Jack_the_Lad
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

I'm not sure you are completely right, otherwise you couldn't rent a bike or borrow a friends.

I think the issue is the combination of residence, NIE, along with Spanish insurance and registration of the bike in the country.  Basically, all the normal pieces that fit together but lacking a license.

Not at all sure, but I expect he could use a UK registered bike for certain period, with UK insurance (with a rider for Euro travel),as long as the bike left Spain regularly.

There will be rules and a short conversation with Someone Who Knows would be a good plan.  Preferably with a legal authority rather than a roadside chat with a gentleman of the law.  Again, probably not a big deal if you get stopped for speeding but - heaven forbid - running into a person would cause your world to change quickly and dramatically.

There's a Brit on the laverda forum who lives in Spain who could probably point you in the right direction as a starting point. I can probably dig out contact detail if that would help.  he might also be able to help with a bike purchase, although he'll probably try to sell you a superbly refinished Laverda!
Last edited by Jack_the_Lad on Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

As far as Brexit goes,  a UK national can ride or drive a Spanish plated vehicle if it's rented or lent, as long as the UK national is not 180 days or more in the EU. Things change if the same UK national owns property in Spain and has a NIE. If that is the case and you spend more than 180 days in the EU and want to buy a Spanish plated bike, it means that you are living in Spain (EU) and would now have to exchange your UK drivers licence for a Spanish one. It's complicated but makes sense. Before Brexit, most UK nationals who lived in Spain were using their own UK plated vehicles without exchanging the plates for Spanish one's and without having the vehicles legal in their country of origin ie no UK MOT. Now, things have tightened up a bit for all the expats who live in Spain.
Jack_the_Lad
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Douglas, you are far better versed in this than I.  Can you exchange a UK licence for a Spanish one, including the motorcycle part?

I know that US licenses cannot be so exchanged, but that a UK (picture-style) license can.

I still have my old paper UK license so it might be time to change that!
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Jack_ the _Lad.

As far as I know, it is now an E.U requirement for residents in the EU to have full EU drivers licences. Before exchanging your own drivers licence, though, consider the points I have posted and if you will be spending more that 180 days in the EU. In Gibraltar we are constantly being hammered with these new developments as there a number of Gibraltarians who have, over the years, taken up residency in Spain and now have to exchange their Gibraltarian EU drivers licences for Spanish ones. I am pretty sure it's a straight swap, I can find out for certain if you if you r interested.

Jack_the_Lad
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Douglas, if it wouldn't be a pain, yes please!

MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi Jack_The_Lad and Douglas.  Thank you both for entering the forum and picking up this thread.  You have both made me think about many things and your insight is illuminating!  Our situation is as follows: we own a property near Granada and have NIE numbers.  I'm retired and our plan is to spend about 6 months in Spain and 6 months in Blighty. We do not intend to spend more than our allotted 180 days (wasn't Brexit a great idea!) in Spain.  I really want to keep and ride a bike in both places but want / need to be legal.  Obviously that's not a problem in Blighty but I need to get it right in Spain.  What do I need to do? 

Cheers, Matt

Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Matty, I have attached some info which explains the Driving In Spain/EU developments after Brexit. This booklet has been provided to all Gibraltarian UK citizens by our government and covers a whole aspect of no deal scenarios. Please bear in mind that Gibraltar was not included in the UK/EU deal. The last paragraph, though, does apply to all UK nationals, even though it is directed to Gibraltar driving licences. The tricky bit here is the residency. If you purchase a Spanish plated bike you will need to have, by law, a Spanish log book. This means that you would need to stipulate your address in Spain which by default renders your UK drivers licence invalid, unless you can prove that you have not been in the EU, for less than 180 days. That could be dodgy.

IMO I think you would be better off getting a UK plated bike, driving it down and keeping it in Spain. In that case, you could drive around and if stopped by the friendly Guardia Civil you can always show the your UK drivers licence ,which is miles better than having to exchange your UK drivers licence for a Spanish one simply because you are driving around with a Spanish plate. You will not get away with driving a Spanish plated vehicle in your name with a UK drivers licence.

Regarding the exchanging of Drivers Licences, it is presumably just a straight swap.
Attachments
Driving in Spain.pdf
(524 KiB) Downloaded 59 times