Engine cutting out during shifting

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

Engine cutting out during shifting

Post by wethead »

[size=15px]..so I close the throttle to upshit, then when I open the throttle again: nothing....no power. [/size]
[size=15px]This has happened to me 3 times now. It appears to occur at random times.[/size]
[size=15px][/size]
[size=15px]I have a friend who also has the same experience with a GS; he claims is the 'quick-shifter'[/size]
[size=15px][/size]
[size=15px]Anyone having the same issue?[/size]
[size=15px]Anyone know how to fix it?[/size]
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Engine cutting out during shifting

Post by michaelc2710 »

Why are you closing the throttle to upshift?  Your are meant to keep the throttle open on upshifts and only close it on down shifts, You only need to use the clutch when setting off, or going back into 1st gear after changing down through the gears.(that's if you have the Pro shift fitted)
Hope that helps
italia
Bike Model and Year: '22 R1250 GSA
United States of America

Re: Engine cutting out during shifting

Post by italia »

As mentioned, quickshifters are designed such that you are to maintain consistent throttle opening when upshifting without using the clutch - I'm guessing you know this.  As far as cutting power, I had that happen on my track bike with an aftermarket quickshifter and discovered that after upshifting I was not completely dropping my foot off of the bottom of the shifter.  Thus, the minimal amount of pressure that I was still placing under the shifter was triggering the quickshifter's designed-in cut off.  It was a random thing and took a while before I discovered the issue, as I had developed the habit with non-quickshifter bikes of keeping my foot rested under the shifter in preparation of the next shift.  Had to change habit and force myself to drop the toe and keep it away from the shifter
Last edited by italia on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
'22 BMW R1250 GSA 🇩🇪 '16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 '14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS 🇮🇹 '16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 🇮🇹 '19 SWM SM500R Supermoto 🇮🇹