MCE insurance

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mondeoman
Wales

MCE insurance

Post by mondeoman »

Anyone else in the UK like me in the nightmare scenario with MCE insurance underwriters going into administration and cancelling all policies on 31/01/2022, my policy was  due to run until September. Looks like I can probably kiss that money goodbye.
Mondeoman
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: MCE insurance

Post by David. »

mondeoman wrote:Looks like I can probably kiss that money goodbye.
Looks like you can thank the FSCS for "a pro-rata refund for 90% of any unused months left on your policy".

Motorbike insurer MCE to cancel cover for all 105,000 policyholders – what it means for you (moneysavingexpert.com)
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Yes David, seen that, can take up to 7 months (if they cough up), meanwhile I've got to pay out again for a new policy elsewhere. :sueno:
Mondeoman
Bob Radford

Post by Bob Radford »

Fortunately I pay monthly. Costs a few quid more but simply cancelled their direct debit

Bike sure did me a good deal, got an online quote, called them up and got it even cheaper.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

If you paid by credit card, which I always do, and the premium was over £100 you can claim any losses from the card issuer.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... CUb9i8Kwfa
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Strange, if you go to their site you can still get a quote. I was with them but changed to Carol Nash at the start of the month. My home insurance company went bust a couple of years back. It was 8 months into the policy. Lost years no claim and it took over a year to get my remaining money back. So like Bob i only pay monthly via direct debit.
Am sure MCE is owned by a larger insurance company. It may be worth contacting the company your insured with as MCE is only a broker. You may find you are still insured. Good luck. Whatever you don't go with One Call. They are internet only and the only way to contact them is via a chat messenger. It took my son 3 days in queuing waiting for contact.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Thanks PeteM, I'm going to investigate that.
DoctorM, it's MCE insurance (Gibraltar) that's gone into receivership, (approx 125,000 customers affected) it was MCE UKs underwriter so MCE UK are unaffected and still trading, their underwriters are Sabre insurance so you can still get quotes from MCE UK. But I wouldn't trust 'em now....
Mondeoman