BMW reliability

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW reliability

Post by Casbar »

wethead wrote: I tend to think Japanese bikes hold up over time much better than beemers, thus I am trading my RT for a Honda NT1100 with a DCT tranny as soon as I can. They are not releasing it in the USA this year so I 'll have to wait till next.

That is a subjective view. There are plenty of issues with Hondas, been plenty of issues with the paint peeling off the engine casings on the new Gold Wings. We ran a FJR 1300 as a fleet bike and that was not without problems or its fair share of failures. If you frequent other bike forums there will always be owners with issues, there are no manufacturers who do not have issues.

Owners of BMWs have a perception of a quality product, but in reality there is not much of a cost difference between comparable models in other bike ranges. Also I would point out, that by far the best dealer support I have ever had when issues arise is by the BMW network. Although if you do not have a warranty can be costly. Went through 7 years of Harley ownership, one of the bikes was a CVO Roadking, had 6 recalls and 7 warranty claims in the first year, Harley dealerships (or the one I used) was terrible to get any warranty work. But Harley are not Japanese either :)
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Had two Hondas and both had throttle control sensor failure. Although sensor was detacable honda insisted whole throtle body needed replacing at £1,000. Honda had sold bike with known problem to smaller dealer whom I subsequently bought bike off so was under warranty for me. Dealer was furious with Honda who were completly unhelpfull even though we had found past history off problem in paperwork from previous keeper. Like Casper has said BMW has by far exceeded any expectaions when a problem has arose. You pay your money and take your chances.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Honda aren't what they used to be,the build quality is dire.I was a staunch Honda man untill i got a VFR1200.Will be a long time before i go there again.
Have a nose on the web about the VFR1200 shaft issue,and i was the 1st in the UK to have mine begrudgingly replaced by Honda.