Looking for Info on 2013 R1200 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MotoGeezer

Looking for Info on 2013 R1200 RT

Post by MotoGeezer »

This is my first post and I don't have an RT, yet.  I have a tentative purchase setup this weekend for a 2013 model with all the optional features.  I would like to know if anyone has cautions of things to look out for when I do my test ride.  The bike has about 28K miles showing and appears to be very clean.  The current owner has had the bike for 2 years and says all he has done is change the oil.  No service history, so I assume I'll be doing the 24K service at a dealer soon.  All thoughts are appreciated. 

Ride Safe!
Ride Safe!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Looking for Info on 2013 R1200 RT

Post by David. »

Checking the operation/function of all the handlebar switches/buttons is a good idea. Electrical faults could be more likely than mechanical ones.

If you haven't seen a Rider's Manual or are not familiar with their operation, here is a link to the manual, R_0430_RM_0813_01.pdf (bmw-motorrad.com)

(I've assumed it's a UK bike).

Any service history within the BMW dealer network can usually be accessed if the supplying/servicing dealer name is known.

In the last 2 years, depending on the mileage, an oil & filter change may have been all that was required.

If the registration number is known, an MOT history check can be done, Check the MOT history of a vehicle - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I purchased my current RT which is a 2011 model in August 2020. The supplying Dealer (Non BMW) did not have any documentation regarding the Service History etc.
The recorded mileage of 13,300 was in line with the Bike's immaculate condition and everything worked as it should so I went ahead and completed the purchase.
I then began ringing around BMW Dealers and by quoting the Bike's Registration and VIN Number I was eventually to able find both the original Supplying Dealer (Pidcock BMW) who carried out the PDI and the first Running In Service and the Dealer who carried out the subsequent Services (Cooper BMW) Both Dealers where very helpful and I now have a fully stamped up Service Book (The Book did cost me about £25 but worth it).
Doing a bit of detective work can be most satisfying, providing of course it does not unearth any horrors.

Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotoGeezer

Post by MotoGeezer »

Thanks for the info, everyone.  I'm in the southern US (Georgia), north of Atlanta in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Wonderful place to ride since I'm a little over and hour from The Tail of the Dragon and all the other great roads in North Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina.  I'm moving up from a Tracer 900 which has been great on the curves.  It's always fun to chase down a bunch of kids on sport bikes and look at their faces when I take off the helmet and they see so much gray hair. 

Best to all.  I'll post again, when I own an RT. 

Ride Safe!
Ride Safe!
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Do not know what dealers are like over the pond but if the bike has no service history and you visit a main dealer for a 24K service be prepared for the cost !!!!! good luck .
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

hammo wrote: Do not know what dealers are like over the pond but if the bike has no service history and you visit a main dealer for a 24K service be prepared for the cost !!!!! good luck .

That is why it will be important to check the BMW Dealer Network for existence of of any Service History. There is a good chance that during the period 2013 to 2019 (The time before the last owner had the bike) the bike will have some Service History hopefully carried out at a BMW Dealer. Like I said above my own bike had no Service History at all yet BMW Dealers where able to check their records for me and now I have a fully stamped up Service Book. I even know when the Plugs where changed. In the old days one could easily obtain a previous owners contact details and ask for any information but these days such information is regarded as Top Secret !!.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Our Gee.  Previously, I paid the DVLA a £5 fee and they confirm all previous owners, with copies of the previous change of keeper forms.

Is that not possible any more?
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

When you say that they confirmed previous owners do you mean that they gave you "Names and Contact Details" of just the number of previous keepers. I have had a quick "Google" about this and it does seem a bit of a grey area.
When I asked my BMW Dealer for the contact details of my Bike's previous owner I was told they are not allowed due to Data Protection.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

They used to send actual scanned copies of the change of keeper documents, so you could see the addresses for yourself.

Previously, I’ve subsequently written to previous owners and received loads of information about my bikes from them.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Looks like they’ve scrapped the £5 fee

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It would seem now that you have to have a "reasonable cause" to request names and addresses of previous keepers from the DVLA.

Requesting service history isn't listed as a "reasonable cause".

The V5C will show the previous keepers details and the number of former keepers, that's it.

Perhaps this change came about after the 2018 Data Protection Act.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

If you read further in the link I posted, you’ll see there’s a different section for ‘your vehicle’, which doesn’t have the same reasonable cause requirements.

I think the new V5 only shows number of keepers David. I don’t think it even shows the previous keeper details any more.
Last edited by Sullivj on Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The V5C I was referring to was issued in 2014 with my current 2012 used RT. It shows the name and address of the previous keeper and a total of 2 former keepers.

Perhaps someone with a more recently issued V5C for a used vehicle could confirm.

The BMW dealer gave me a couple of service invoices which showed the name and address of the original owner.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

The current V5 only shows your details and the number of former keepers, don’t know when they changed from having the previous keepers details on it. I suspect data protection comes into it.

That said when I purchased my RT there were previous invoices with the details of the previous keeper in the docs wallet.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

The V5C Issued IN SEPT 2020 for my 2011 RT only shows "No. of Former Keepers  2 "

When I was at the Dealers having my new Service Booklet (Owner's Manual) stamped up from their records they did have the details of the previous owner on their system but politely refused to divulge, saying that will be against Data Protection. Anyhow, it may have been nice to have a chat with my bikes "Former Keeper",but after 16 months of ownership I now know that I have nothing to be concerned about so I will let possible Sleeping Dogs lie.
Fairly recently and prior to my latest RT ownership I was able to contact the "Former Keeper" of another "Used Bike" as the Dealer concerned did let me have sight of some paperwork. After an initial contact there was some rather cold correspondence and it was clear that this chap didn't want to be bothered.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.