Highway Code changes from 29/01/22

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Highway Code changes from 29/01/22

Post by David. »

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Highway Code changes from 29/01/22

Post by exportman »

I have seen lots of media about the changes and how Pedestrians and Cyclist have in certain circumstances priority but the one this they all have in common is the omission of the following information in bold:

[size=2px]The changes being made by the Government on 29 January introduce a new ‘hierarchy of road users’. The new hierarchy explains that those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others.[/size]
[size=2px][/size]
[size=2px]This principle applies most strongly to drivers of large goods and passenger vehicles, cars and motorcycles. [/size]
[size=2px][/size]
[size=2px]Other more vulnerable road users have a responsibility to reduce danger to people walking . None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including people walking, cycling or riding a horse, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]The above was in information circulated by the DVSA earlier this week.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]In a society where it is everyone else's fault I think this last bit should have been given the most prominent promotion.[/size]
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Law firms are rubbing their hands with glee. All those rear end shunts and Jay Walkers  will make huge profits for lawyers. Everyday is April Fool's Day in this country, I despair for the future of riding and driving with numpties making stupid rules every day and the" elite" just ignoring rules and pandering to the Greens and Wokes.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Personally these rules will not affect my riding technique , you have always to be double alert on a motorcycle i never trust car drivers or any other human on the streets , most of them are walking with a lump of metal stuck to there ears these days and are oblivious to what is going on sad times.
BobM

Post by BobM »

Hi,
      I`ve never really contemplated having a dashcam in my car or on my bike, but I think it maybe time to think about it now.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

What sort of over paid idiot dreams this shit up?.. Second thoughts!! It's a well thought out idea to have a cull of the lycra clad tossers who are constantly in the way!.. Pedestrians are just slow moving target practice to hone your skills for taking the lycra tossers down with finesse.  :) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From what I can see, the 8 Changes are designed to protect the most vulnerable road users.

One thing I keep coming back to is the use of the words 'SHOULD' or 'MUST'.

Legal rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. 

Other rules use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The most controversial change seems to be around people crossing the road at junctions. Some of the guidance is "when people are waiting to cross, traffic should give way". This appears to be being interpreted as "must give way", leading to a potential rise in rear end accidents. As a pedestrian, would you step into the road in front of a moving vehicle, unlikely, unless you had a death wish. As a motorist, will you be stopping in a main road, waiting to turn into a minor road to allow a pedestrian to begin crossing.

Of all the videos I've viewed, this one is blunt and to the point but seems to agree with the above, [size=2px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pos4iUn3rF0&t[/size]

Most of the other rules changes surround cycling and riding horses. If you are already courteous to these other road users, giving them a wide berth etc., then there is no great change.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by David and Sally »

Question. Most, if not all of the Highway Code has references to the Road Traffic Acts that back up the 'code'. Has the law changed to accommodate these new 'codes'?

I am aware the magistrates tend to back the code even if there is no specific law.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From what I can see, updated rules have been made to accommodate the changes.
Where the rules are backed up with laws, they are usually referenced.

It is true that, where the rule is not law, the Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings.
This includes rules which use advisory wording such as 'should/should not' or 'do/do not'.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.