Fitted Zumo XT to my 2019 1250RT

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Fitted Zumo XT to my 2019 1250RT

Post by Casbar »

Just finished fitting a Zumo XT to my RT. Relatively easy fit and power plugs into the same socket as the original Nav Mount. Found a video on You Tube of a chap who did a similar install, I just moved it on a little and used the standard blanking plate so you don't see the original mounting under the new one. Easy swap back when I sell the bike, just needed new screws, spacers and the cable which BMW sell to join to the loom.

Reason for swap, well I was on my second Nav VI due to screen ghosting and had read great reviews on the XT. Got to say, it is a lot quicker and slicker than the Navs, also you can update via wireless. You can also transfer routes etc via the Garmin My Drive app, which also passes traffic, cameras and loads of other bits to the Nav.

Disadvantages, It doesn't integrate with the wonder wheel (but I never used that function anyway). There is no My Bike info, but again I never looked at that information. Lastly you have to space the new nav further out, as the screen is slightly larger, the release for the Nav is on the top, so no remote release. So you have to use some kind of tool to release it, I'm using a short trim removal tool that you push over the top and down to release, otherwise it won't come out. So built in security as well :)
Attachments
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Re: Fitted Zumo XT to my 2019 1250RT

Post by sakm »

The XT is a superb sat nav I used an adaptor to attach mine that takes power from the OE mount you can then easily unclip it as you would normally

Like so https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1318

Also there is a fantastic guide in the XT section of the forum if you sign up you can view it with plenty of helpful information
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

I’ve got the 3D mount which makes it so easy and secure. I did see a UK company selling them a couple of days ago but can’t remember who it was. Saved getting it from Italy.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Fourbears wrote: I did see a UK company selling them a couple of days ago but can’t remember who it was.

Did you notice the price on them too?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

3D mount looks great. I'll see how my solution pans out and if it causes me any issues I might go for the 3D mount it is a quick job to revert back to the standard mount.
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

You've got yourself a great satnav. I got mine in December 2020 for my 2019 RT and I am right pleased with it, though I don't have it permanently fixed on the bike. I got a GIVI satnav cover and have it connected to my bike via the can bus socket. Upside of that is that I always carry it with me when I get off the bike. Downside is that I always have to carry it with me, if you know what I mean.  :alas:
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I’ve got the Zumo XT and it’s by far the best sat nav that I’ve had. The only problem I’ve found is that it doesn’t display all of the songs that I’ve loaded, though they are there when I connect it to the computer, I’m sure I’ll find out how to find them with a bit more playing with it.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not that it matters, but the bit that confused me. When I disconnected the Nav cradle there were two plugs, one wasn't connected to anything, the other was a 3 pin plug into the loom, one wire was neg the other pos, this is the feed for the cradle. I connected the XT to the same plug using a BMW tail you can buy. All good. But the question is, how does the Nav VI get the connection to the wonder wheel? I would have assumed that the second plug would bring the extra bits of connection, maybe it does on the GS. But on my RT as I said, there was only a neg and pos feed and no other connections to the bike and my wonder wheel worked for zoom etc.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:When I disconnected the Nav cradle there were two plugs, one wasn't connected to anything, the other was a 3 pin plug into the loom.
Did the two plugs looks like these ones. If so, I believe the second 2 pin plug is for audio output on a bike with radio/speakers.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:How does the Nav VI get the connection to the wonder wheel.
Did the 3 pin plug/socket have three wires as it connected to the loom. If so, the 3rd could be for connection to the wonder wheel.
Last edited by David. on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

That's the odd thing, two plugs, second one only had the + and - lead connected (I think). I bought the tail from BMW with the same plug on it, so only connected wire 1 and 3, which are + and -. But I could be wrong, next time I will have a look, only thought about it afterwards, if I can find a wiring diagram I'll check. It isn't mission critical :)
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

David. wrote: Did the 3 pin plug/socket have three wires as it connected to the loom. If so, the 3rd could be for connection to the wonder wheel.

It has a separate two wire plug for the wonder wheel
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the sat. nav. mount cradle for an R1250RT, it has two plugs. On Casbar's bike, the second 2 pin plug wasn't connected to anything. The wonder wheel was functional.

sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

The third pin will be canbus controlled then and the other two pin will probably be for information or sound
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Like David said, the second ploug wasn't fitted and I still had wonder wheel control and My motorcycle info on the Nav VI. The only thing I can think is the 3 pin plug, all 3 cables were attached as opposed to just the + and -. I am fitting a lock to a mates bike next week, I'll have a look then if there are 3 wires in the plug